Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
From the Diocesan Archives: January
by Father Ted Bradley, for the Inland Register
(From the Jan. 18, 2001 edition of the Inland Register)
150 Years Ago: 1851
Walla Walla: Mrs. Henry Spaulding, widow of the Rev. Henry Spaulding, was buried in Eastern Oregon. Over her grave, Spaulding erected a tombstone with the following in prominent lettering: “She always felt that the Jesuit Missions were the leading cause of the Massacre.”
Fort Vancouver: Bishop Blanchet of Nesqually granted the first permission for the Blessed Sacrament to be reserved in a tabernacle in the Northwest.
125 Years Ago: 1876
Colville: Indians at St. Regis Mission took up a collection for the church statues: “$85 in coin, 4 horses, 1 cow, 1 buffalo robe, 1 blanket, and some pieces of calico.” The church was destroyed by fire on Christmas Eve, 1888.
100 Years Ago: 1901
Spokane: The first edition of the Catholic Herald appeared. The weekly newspaper was edited by Frank Butler and James Stewart.
Dayton: Father Peter Van Holderbeke died. Since 1866 he had served in Dayton, Starbuck, Waitsburg and Prescott.
75 Years Ago: 1926
Spokane: At Gonzaga University a new organization, called the “G” Club, was set up, composed of those who had won athletic awards. The football team went East to play Detroit University, the first western team to cross the Mississippi to do so.
Ritzville: Father Lawrence Noldin, pastor of St. Agnes, had to leave because of illness. Fathers Dosch and Helfenstein from Odessa and Harrington carried on Ritzville pastoral duties.
50 Years Ago: 1951
Uniontown: Gregory, nine-month-old son of Jerry Reisenauer, was buried by Father Anton Flour.
Spokane: The Catholic Business and Professional Women formed a nominating committee for new officers: Ann Devlin, Isabelle Schaaf, Mary McKenna, Marjorie Whitlawn and Jean Thorpe.
Clarkston: The Holy Name Society planned a special parish breakfast under the direction of Mrs. Frank Brockman, Adam Milten-berger and E.J. Mossman. Deacon John Rompa and Father Hugo Pautler will assist at the breakfast.
25 Years Ago: 1976
Spokane: Michael Murphy of Our Lady of Fatima Parish has been named to the Board of Directors of Morning Star Boys’ Ranch.
Spokane: After 14 years of serving as principal of Gonzaga Prep, Jesuit Father William Hayes has announced his retirement and will go on a one-year sabbatical.
Colfax: St. Patrick Parish member and Council member Sam Mutch will now direct the local Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of Commerce.
10 Years Ago: 1991
Spokane: Father Albert Austen, long-time pastor of the Spokane Diocese, died after 11 years of retirement, at age 80. He served for 23 years in the Walla Walla area. The funeral Mass was celebrated at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes; burial followed at Holy Cross Cemetery.
Louvain, Belgium: Rory Pitstick, a graduate of Bishop White Seminary in Spokane and a second-year theologian in Louvain, Belgium, received the Order of Acolyte from Archbishop Jean Jadot, former Apostolic Delegate to the United States.
(Father Bradley is archivist for the Diocese of Spokane.)
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved