Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
From the Diocesan Archives
by Father Ted Bradley, for the Inland Register
(From the June 15, 2001 edition of the Inland Register)
150 Years Ago: 1851
Kettle Falls: Father Joset describes St. Paul Mission, writing: “French Canadians and employees of the Hudson Bay Company have settled in the Valley. The Indian band members 350, but during the summer, the Indians come from all over to catch salmon. There are then over 1,000 at the Falls.”
125 Years Ago: 1876
Uniontown: Many of the early Catholic settlers in the Uniontown and Colton area bought farming land at various prices, ranging from 10 cents to $1.25 per acre.
100 Years Ago: 1901
Rockford: The Keegan, Dolan and Sullivan families began a campaign to build a Catholic church. St. Joseph Church became a reality the following year.
Pomeroy: Father William Amschwand of Holy Rosary Church blessed the new statue of the Sacred Heart, which was donated by Francis and Rebecca McBrearty. He also blessed the Stations of the Cross, donated by Nick Thoma and the Flerchinger family, from Peola.
75 Years Ago: 1926
Spokane: Financial records for St. Augustine Parish show $81.93 for church repairs and $48 for insurance on the rectory.
Spokane: Gonzaga University’s rector, Father Walter Fitzgerald, presided over the commencement exercises. Papers were given to graduates Vincent Donahue, Harry Hanley, Charles DiLio, and degrees were given in philosophy, science, arts and music.
Spokane: Ordained this year are Jesuits James Gilmore, John Keep, Thomas Maher, Natale Maruca, Charles Owen, and Dennis Sullivan.
50 Years Ago: 1951
Spokane: The Diocese of Spokane was joined to the Metropolitan area under the guidance of the new Archbishop of Seattle. The Yakima and Juneau dioceses also are in this diocesan entity.
Spokane: At the graduation for Marycliff High School, highest scholastic awards were given to honor students Carole Knostman, Eleanor Twohy and Teresa Martin. Bishop Charles White gave diplomas to 72 graduates.
Cheney: Summer school enrollment was 52 children, under the direction of Dominican Sisters Antonia and Fidelis.
25 Years Ago: 1976
Sprague: Mary Queen of Heaven parish graduates from Sprague High School are Irene Ringwood (class valedictorian), Donald Harding, and Deborah Culligan (class president).
Spokane: Father John Steiner, assistant at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, has been named director of diocesan liturgy. He replaces Father John O’Brien, who held the office for the last 10 years. Father O’Brien will now develop a liturgy center at Mater Cleri, Colbert.
10 Years Ago: 1991
Spokane: Bishop Skylstad appointed Father Dan Wetzler to Connell; Father John Sand to Harrington; and Father Al Grasher to Valley.
Spokane: Sister Colleen Byrne professed temporary vows at the Poor Clares Convent.
Spokane: Ellen Ewing, former associate editor of the Inland Register, died. The funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Anthony Parish.
(Father Bradley is archivist for the Diocese of Spokane.)
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved