Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
From the Diocesan Archives: July
by Father Ted Bradley, for the Inland Register
(From the July 5, 2001 edition of the Inland Register)
150 years ago: 1851
Walla Walla: Father Casimir Chirousi of the Oblates Religious Order reported some success evangelizing the Cayuse and Serpent (Snake) Indians in the area.
125 years ago: 1876
Uniontown: Bishop Blanchet assigned the Palouse district to Father Thomas Duffy of Walla Walla. Thomas Montgomery, a local farmer, laid plans for a portion of his farm for a future church in the town to be called Uniontown.
Frenchtown: Father Charles Richard was appointed to care for the “Canadian Church”, i.e. St. Rose of Lima in Frenchtown. He spoke French fluently and welcomed the assignment.
100 years ago: 1901
Cosale Montferrto Diocese, Italy: Father Louis Beccoris received Subdeaconship in the Cosale Montferrto Diocese in Italy. Father came to Spokane in 1914, served for 15 years, and died in Bristol, Conn., in 1934.
Clarkston: Work continued on the first church in Asotin County. It will be a two story birch-veneer building. The second floor will be the church; the first floor will be for a school.
75 years ago: 1926
Spokane: Inland Empire Catholic Messenger advertised “a genuine Willys Knight” for $1230.00, a standard 6 coach, at the transport Motor Co., and in Sprague, Washington, at the “Highway Garage”, you can buy an outstanding Chevrolet from Lamparter & Hassler.
Walla Walla: Hotel McFeeley advertised rooms for $l.00; call 871.
50 years ago: 1951
Spokane: Bishop Charles White received news from Rome that a large section of the Spokane Diocese would make up the territory for the newly proposed Yakima Diocese.
Spokane:Final deeds of the Inwood Park area were given to the Bishop by the Schiffner and Watkins Real Estate Co. for building Our Lady of Fatima Church and school at 34th and Perry.
25 years ago: 1976
Brewster: Kathryn Wick, 91-year-old-pioneer, whose family settled in the Methow in 1888, died. Father Clifford Huling celebrated the Funeral Mass.
Cheney: The Antonian Society held their annual smorgasboard party to support the School for Special Children, under the direction of Dominican Sister Antonia.
10 years ago: 1991
Spokane: Sister Cathy Beckley, of the Holy Name Sisters, opened the Women’s Drop-In Center in downtown Spokane, for women suffering from alcohol or drug addiction, and domestic violence.
Wilbur: Bishop Skylstad confirmed nine young adults at Sacred Heart Parish. Father Pat MacMahon, pastor, helped with the ceremony.
Yakima: Ed Mertens was elected the Knights of Columbus's State Deputy at the annual State Convention in Yakima. Also elected to a state office was Thomas Weber of Colton.
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved