Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Foundation awards grants fund projects throughout the diocese
the Inland Register
(From the July 5, 2001 edition of the Inland Register
The Catholic Foundation awarded $46,885 in grants to 66 projects in the Spokane Diocese. Since 1983, the Foundation has given 931 grants, totaling more than $885,000. Grant recipients included the following:
- CAPA: To partially fund the CAPA Parenting Education Project, $750.
- Caritas Center, Spokane: Help pay for utilities & transportation for the needy, $800.
- Diocesan Marriage Prep Program: Marriage Prep Weekend expenses room and board, materials, payment to retreats, secretarial support, $500.
- Diocesan Multicultural Committee: Conduct a diversity survey in the diocese and purchase materials for people working with different cultures, $750.
- Dominicare, Chewelah: Values Reflection project tuition for 20 people, honorarium and mileage, refreshments, supplies, $250.
- Hispanic Cursillo Movement Pasco Prison Ministry meals, lodging, food, prayer books, bibles, holy cards, mileage, $1,375.
- Holy Family Adult Day Health: Purchase materials for a Research Lending Library, $200.
- Holy Rosary Parish, Tonasket: Install a central heating system in the parish hall, $572.
- HOPE for COAP: Art and Music on the Lawn supplies, music, $250.
- Human Life Education Foundation: newsletter postage and printing, $1,000.
- Human Life Education Foundation: update the computer system and link with national and state Pro-life websites, $700.
- Immaculate Heart Retreat Center: Diocesan Youth Retreats Tuition Assistance, $1,000, Scholarships and Gas for Transportation to Senior Day for Prayer, $500, Stipend & Travel, Scholarships for Encounter Christ Retreat, $1,000.
- Kateri NW Ministry Institute: Ministry Training Travel, Materials, Operational Expenses, $1,000.
- Natural Family Planning, SHMC: Natural Family Planning Instruction, $750.
- Northwest Communities’ Education Reflections, Sunday Programs, Msgr. Ramírez, $250.
- Our Lady of Fatima Parish, Spokane: Los Embajadores Travel Expenses, $350.
- Our Place Community Ministries Transportation & Prescription Medication Support, $1,750.
- Parish Services Office: help pay some of the costs for Junior High Faith Day, $750, Catholic Youth Leadership Camp Scholarships, $2,000, Prison and Detention Ministry Chaplaincy Services and Volunteer Formation, $2,000, Help pay some of the costs for Catholic Youth Celebration, $1,500.
- Project Timothy, Dayton: Crises and Emergency Assistance to the Poor and Needy, $1,750.
- Sacred Heart Parish, Brewster: Purchase Religious Ed and Vacation Bible School Materials, $500, Youth Ministry Materials, Jr. High Faith Day Scholarships, $300.
- Sacred Heart Mission, Nespelem: Family & Youth Religious Enrichment Program Materials, Food, Transportation, $350.
- Sacred Heart Parish, Pullman: For 30 people from the parish to attend the Journey to Justice Retreat at Immaculate Heart Retreat Center, $1,000, Loyola University extension Courses for four People leading to three degrees in Master of Pastoral Studies and one certificate of Pastoral Studies, $2,000.
- Sacred Heart Parish, Tekoa: Keyboard replacement project, $1,000, modernize the PA system, $450.
- Spokane County Jail Ministries: Purchase Bibles to give to jail inmates, $300.
- Spokane Urban Indian Community: Teacher Salary, Books, Field Trip Supplies, $500; to help with religious education of children in the Spokane Urban Indian Community Pilgrimage, $800.
- Spokane Valley Center: Viva Volunteers Educational Materials, Mileage to Trainings, $250.
- St. Anne Parish, Medical Lake: purchase Room Divider Panels for the parish hall, $900.
- St. Francis Xavier/Vincent DePaul: Parish Food Bank Subsidy, $750.
- St. Genevieve Parish, Twisp: Scholarships/expenses for parish youth group to attend Catholic Youth Conference, $300; purchase Home Catechetical Materials for parents to use in teaching their children, $150.
- St. John Vianney Parish, Spokane: Library Carts, Videos, Materials for the parish library $480; conduct a youth retreat for high school youth of the parish $500.
- St. Joseph Family Center: subsidize the sliding scale fee for counseling services provided to women and children, $1,000.
- St. Joseph Parish, Colbert: Training adults as catechists and teens as peer leaders, $800.
- St. Joseph Parish, Spokane: Youth Program Retreat for 10 people to attend, $400.
- St. Joseph/St. Anthony, Spokane, parishes: 15 scholarships to the Religious Ed Conference, $200; purchase Religious Ed Curriculum Materials for three-year-olds to eighth grade, $400.
- St. Joseph, Metaline Falls/St. Bernard, Ione, parishes: Youth Group Retreat Space Rental, Food, Transportation, $400.
- St. Joseph, Dayton/St. Mark, Waitsburg, parishes: Spiritual Training for the Eucharistic Ministers to the Homebound, $500.
- St. Mary of the Rosary Parish, Chewelah: Purchase CD Player and Bibles for the Youth Group, $200.
- St. Mary Parish, Spokane: For Fees, Travel, Lodging, Van Rental, Food, Emergency Funds for the Mission Mexico 2001, $2,000.
- St. Michael Mission, Inchelium: Church Sound System $600; Purchase Religious Ed Texts, Materials, $400; Summer Bible Camp Materials, Food, Transportation, $400; Building Maintenance Project Scraper, Sander, Sandpaper, Sealer, $600.
- St. Paschal Parish, Spokane: purchase Cots for the Educare program, $309; Install “hutch” Doors with Windows so parents can see if their children are in a safe environment, $240.
- St. Patrick Parish, Pasco: purchase Bilingual Religious Ed Books, $3,000.
- St. Patrick Parish, Spokane: for 10 parishioners to attend the Catholic Faith Conference, $200; Senior Adult Ministry Training Course Material, $240; Purchase 70 Copies of Scripture Commentary and Study Guides, $335; Speaker Amplifier, Cable and Installation in the church, $359; Send 33 to 49 people to a Music and Liturgy Workshop, $200; Purchase Religious Ed Curriculum Materials, $400.
- Transitional Living Center, Spokane: Purchase Round Mobile Tables for the community room, $350.
- Women’s Drop In Center: Purchase Conference Tables for classes and group activities, $275.
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved