Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
From the Diocesan Archives: September
by Father Ted Bradley, for the Inland Register
(From the Sept. 13, 2001 edition of the Inland Register)
150 years ago: 1851
Cusick: Jesuit Fathers DeSmet and Hoecken said Mass in the “Grotto of New Manresa, the cave on the banks of the Pend Oreille River while attempting to establish a mission at the “Bay of the Kalispels.”
Fort Colville: Five years after the boundary dispute, the fort erected on Mill Creek needed a Catholic Missionary. Father Joset was chosen by his Jesuit superiors to care for the Irish soldiers and local Indians.
125 years ago: 1876
Uniontown: German immigrant families — Schoffen, Schlee, Jacobs, Hoefer, Tuschoff, Wittman and Schornhurst — began arriving in the Palouse.
Laconner: Father Emil Kauten, newly arrived from Louvain, Belgium, was sent by Bishop Blanchet of the Nesqually Diocese to Laconner, where he built the first church in White River Valley. Father Kauten spent a number of years in Spokane at Saint Joseph Church on Dean St.
100 years ago: 1901
Spokane: Father Verhagen, pastor of the “Main Street Church,” returned from a Colfax stint of service, and began looking for a better location and plans for a bigger church. Foundations of the new edifice began the following year.
Spokane: The year-old St. Joseph Orphan Asylum reports it has increased the number of its residents. The orphanage is directed by the Sisters of St. Francis.
75 years ago: 1926
Chewelah: The Benedictine Sisters from Cottonwood, Idaho arrived to take charge of the recently-built grade school.
Spokane: Bishop Augustine Schinner, serving as Diocesan Administrator after his retirement two years ago, left Spokane to return to Milwaukee, where he died in February, 1933.
Dayton: Father Arthur Joda received notice from Bishop Schinner that he will be transferred from Dayton to St. Joseph in Waterville.
50 years ago: 1951
Yakima: Spokane’s Bishop Charles White drove to Yakima to be a co-consecrator of Father Joseph Dougherty as the first Bishop of Yakima.
Pasco: St. Patrick Grade School was blessed by Bishop White. This first parochial school in the Tri-Cities area was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet. These nuns also staff Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Pasco.
25 Years Ago: 1976
Spokane: Father Michael Savelesky has been selected as Chairman of the local Religious Broadcasting Commission. This interdenominational group coordinates religious programming for KHQ-TV.
Spokane: Florence Hartnett, of the Diocesan Comptroller’s Office, died of a heart attack. Father Ralph Schwemin of Mary Queen Parish officiated at the funeral Mass.
Spokane: Morning Star Boys’ Ranch benefited from a dinner and style show directed by Mrs. James Barber, Mrs. Peter Markarian, Mrs. William Morin, and Mrs. James Bresnahan.
10 Years Ago: 1991
Valley: Bishop William Skylstad celebrated the funeral Mass for Father Joseph Da Lio. Father was born in Venice, Italy and was pastor in Valley for 22 years.
Spokane: The Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes was the site for the ordination of Deacon Eugene Tracy to the priesthood. He completed his theology courses at Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. His first pastoral assignment will be at St. Francis Xavier Church, Spokane.
(Father Bradley is archivist for the Diocese of Spokane.)
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved