Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Jan. 17, 2002 edition of the Inland Register)
The vigil service was Dec. 20. The funeral Mass was celebrated the following morning. Both took place at Mount St. Joseph.
She was born in Granville, N.D. After schooling she became a public school teacher in Montana for three years before entering the Providence novitiate in Seattle in 1945. She professed final vows in 1949.
Sister Ann Ellen earned degrees from the College of Great Falls and from Notre Dame University. She held a number of positions as a teacher and artist, including St. Patrick School, Walla Walla, from 1963-66. She also was the director of the province art studio adjacent to Mount St. Joseph, Spokane, from 1975-97, even though she had retired in 1974.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Dec. 27. Burial followed in the Motherhouse cemetery in Sinsinawa.
She was born April 29, 1905, in Yorktown, and entered the Saint Clara Novitiate in 1930. She made her first profession of vows two years later and her final profession in 1935.
She was an elementary school teacher and principal for some 46 years, serving in Wisconsin, Alabama, Illinois, Montana, and other states, including at St. John Vianney School, Spokane, in the early 1960s.
She retired in 1978.
Memorials may be made to the Sinsinawa Dominicans, 585 County Rd. Z, Sinsinawa, WI 53824-9700.
The vigil service was Dec. 30; the funeral Mass, Dec. 31. Both took place at the Convent of the Holy Names in Spokane.
She was a graduate of St. Aloysius School and North Central High School, as well as Holy Names College and Marquette University.
She entered the novitiate in 1928 and professed her vows two years later. Her ministry for some 35 years was in education, mostly at the junior high level and as a principal at schools in Oregon and Washington.
She served the Spokane Diocese as Assistant Superintendent of Education from 1966-70. Sister Lois Jean moved from that post to Fort Wright College of the Holy Names, where she worked until 1976, when she became a tutor in Japan and at Barton School, Spokane.
Ill health forced her move to the Care Center at the Convent of the Holy Names in 1999.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Retirement Fund, 2911 W. Fort Wright Dr., Spokane, WA 99224.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Jan. 11 in the Provincial House chapel at Marylhurst, Ore.
Sister Ann Clarisse was born in Switzerland. Her family moved to Oregon in 1909, where she attended grade and high school in The Dalles. She later earned a bachelorís degree from Holy Names College, Spokane.
She taught for some 45 years, in primary grades in Oregon and Washington, including Spokane. She moved to the Provincial House at Marylhurst in 1971, where she assisted in the care center and helped process used postage stamps for sale to collectors.
Remembrances may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Ministry/Retirement Fund, P.O. Box 411, Marylhurst, OR 97036.
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved