Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Sprague parish plans July centennial celebration
by Bonita Lawhead, Inland Register staff
(From the June 13, 2002 edition of the Inland Register)
Mary Queen of Heaven Parish in Sprague will celebrate its centennial next month.
Bishop William Skylstad will celebrate Mass in the historic church Sunday, July 14, at noon. A reception and no-host lunch will follow. Persons interested in attending the lunch should RSVP by calling (509) 257-2668 or (509) 257-2811.
All interested persons, including former parishioners and students who attended St. Joseph Academy in Sprague, are invited to attend. If they have any memorabilia, photos or other items pertaining to the church or school, they are encouraged to bring them. A brief history of the church will be given and there will be a display of historical items.
Jesuits offered the first Masses in the Sprague area in 1882 and built the first church. In those early days the parish was called Our Lady Queen of Heaven. Father Aloysius Meuwese was the first resident pastor. He built an addition onto the church, to accommodate the rapidly growing congregation.
The current church was built under the guidance of Father Van de Ven and dedicated in October 1902. In 1991, a committee of parishioners and their pastor, Father Theodore Bradley, succeeded in getting the church listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Father James McGreevy was the parish’s last pastor. He died of cancer in April. A replacement has not been named.
The parish currently numbers about 30 families.
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved