From the

Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane

Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302

Seven Sisters of Providence celebrate jubilees

by the Inland Register

(From the Aug. 1, 2002 edition of the Inland Register)

Seven Sisters of Providence from Mother Joseph Province will celebrate 70-, 60- and 50-year anniversaries of Religious life at 11 a.m. Saturday, August 10.

The liturgy, followed by a luncheon, will be celebrated at Sacred Heart Parish, 219 E. Rockwood Blvd., in Spokane. Bishop Skylstad will preside.

Celebrating 70 years since taking first vows are Sister Virginia Cosner and Sister Rose Estelle Harvey, Spokane.

Celebrating 60 years are Sisters Naomi Hurd, Seattle, and Mary Leona Miller, Vancouver.

Celebrating 50 years are Sisters Claire Bouffard, Spokane; Dorothy Klingele, Everett; and Cecile Roux, Seattle.

Sister Virginia Cosner, a Missoula native, was a primary grade teacher, superior and school principal in Wallace, Idaho, and for many years in Missoula and Great Falls, Mont. Trained in Montessori teaching methods in Washington, D.C., she later directed a Montessori school at St. Thomas Home in Great Falls.

She retired at the end of 1995 to Mount St. Joseph, Spokane, where she offered volunteer assistance to the activities director.

Sister Rose Estelle Harvey, born in Washburn, Wisc., taught drama, business, choreography and music at schools in Walla Walla and Great Falls, in addition to the College of Great Falls. She later became an administrator, then served as provincial secretary before becoming administrative secretary at St. Joseph Care Center in Spokane.

Sister Rose Estelle loved girlsí sports and taught cheerleaders in Sprague, Great Falls, Wallace and Walla Walla. She retired in 1990, but for many years assisted in the Providence Archives.

Sister Naomi Hurd, born in Cle Elum, Wash., entered the Religious community in 1941 and began her years in education ministry as a primary school teacher in Tacoma, then moved to Seattle and Yakima. For the next 14 years she taught at Sisters of Providence schools in Burbank, Vancouver, Walla Walla and Olympia.

Sister Naomi later was principal and eighth grade teacher at Sacred Heart School in Tacoma, then went to the theology department of John F. Kennedy High School in Seattle.

After earning a masterís degree in library science from Portland University, she went to Providence High School in Burbank as the librarian. From there, she went to Saint Joseph Medical Center, where she helped plan and build its new medical library. She remained there as director for 22 years.

She retired to St. Joseph Residence, Seattle, in 1998 and later moved to Caritas Court, where she is assistant manager of the residence for Sisters.

Sister Mary Leona Miller, a native of Glen Wood, Minn., who grew up in Longview, has received regional and national recognition for excellence in education.

She first taught 32 second-graders at Sacred Heart School in Tacoma in 1943 in a classroom that doubled as the school stage. She then spent five years teaching first and second grade in Moxee, then in Yakima and in Burbank, followed by 23 years teaching at three Vancouver schools ó St. James, St. Joseph, and Our Lady of Lourdes.

When she retired in 1990 in Vancouver, she was the last Sister of Providence teaching in that city, where the Sisters of Providence first arrived in 1856.

Sister Claire Bouffard, born in Winooski, Vt., served in ministry in small rural missions in the former St. Ignatius Province, which included Eastern Washington, Idaho and Montana.

She served many years in finance, including as treasurer of schools and hospitals in Wallace, Fort Benton, St. Ignatius, Missoula and Walla Walla. She was director of finance for St. Joseph Care Center in Spokane and later archives assistant in the provincial administration office. She retired in 2000 to Mount St. Joseph, Spokane.

Sister Dorothy Klingele, born in Yakima, has had a long career in medical technology.

Sister Dorothy holds a bachelorís degree in medical technology from Seattle University, a masterís in biochemistry from the University of Notre Dame, and a Ph.D. in developmental biology.

She interned at the former Providence Hospital in Seattle and worked as the only medical technologist in a small Yakima clinic with two doctors from 1949 to 1951. She served as a post-doctoral resident in human genetics at Sacred Heart Hospital in 1969, then went to Philadelphia for post-doctoral research at the Childrenís Hospital and the University of Pennsylvania. Another post-doctoral fellowship took her to the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center in Portland, where she worked with families with Downs Syndrome Children.

She also taught with the Holy Names Sisters at Fort Wright College in Spokane until it closed in 1981.

Today, Sister Dorothy is Sister Representative at Providence Everett Medical Center, where she makes sure that the Sistersí mission and values are part of the decision-making.

Sister Cecile Roux, born in Westford, Mass., began her ministry as a teacher of third graders at Maryville Academy, in Des Plaines, Ill. Multiple sclerosis led to deteriorating health, but after months recuperating in Montreal, she was sent to Washington to teach at Sacred Heart School in Tacoma, followed by assignments at St. Catherine School in Seattle.

Later, she began teaching children reading in small groups, which she did for years at St. Finbar School in Burbank, and later as a volunteer back at St. Catherine School.

Other ministry assignments included serving as house bookkeeper at the Sisters of Providence residence in Burbank, as a member of the board of directors of the Rowe Memorial Day Care Center in Los Angeles, as a multiple sclerosis counseling intern at the University of Oregon Health Science Center in Portland, and as a part-time receptionist at the Lifetime Learning Center in Seattle.

She also was a patient visitor at Esther Pariseau Pavilion in Burbank before retiring at St. Joseph Residence in Seattle in 1986.

Inland Register archives

© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved



Home