Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
From the Diocesan Archives: October
the Inland Register
(From the Oct. 24, 2002 edition of the Inland Register)
150 Years Ago: 1852
Kettle Falls: The St. Paul Mission, following the St. Ignatius Mission among the Kalispels,
is the oldest Jesuit mission in the Washington Territory. The Jesuits’ Father Ravalli erected a
crude chapel, but it was replaced by Jesuit Father Joset’s frame building. Father Vercruysse
came from Chewelah to help during the smallpox epidemic.
125 Years Ago: 1877
Kingston, Ontario: Terrence Fitzpatrick was ordained a priest. Father Fitzpatrick served in
the Spokane Diocese in 1912.
Pomeroy: Mother Thomasina and two other Dominican nuns arrived in Southeastern
Washington and were cared for by the Providence Sisters’ hospital in Walla Walla. The
Dominicans arrived to open a girls’ school in the Pomeroy “village,” invited by Bishop Junger
and Father Rohlinger.
100 Years Ago: 1902
Spokane: Benedictine Father Barnabas Held celebrated the first Mass for St. Ann Parish in a
hall on Sprague and Pittsburgh streets in Spokane. Father Ferland, a chaplain at Sacred Heart
Hospital (now Medical Center), was appointed the parish’s first pastor. The first church
building was erected two years later.
Spokane: Father Herman Goller was appointed prefect of studies at the boys’ school.
Father hails originally from Germany. Father James Rebmann was appointed pastor of St. Aloysius
Parish; he also taught moral theology at the college.
Rockford: The Dolan, Hogan, Keegan and McAvoy families, newly arrived from the Midwest,
attend Mass, seated on planks for pews. They decide to build a church.
75 Years Ago: 1927
Spokane: The St. Vincent de Paul Society established a conference in Spokane. Their first
project: supporting the County Poor Farm, St. Joseph Children’s Home, Baxter Hospital (a
Veterans’ Administration hospital), Don Bosco Home for Boys, and the Edgecliff Sanitarium.
Walla Walla: The Catholic Directory advertised, “The Band Box has suits and dresses for
dry cleaning and pressing for $1.”
Spokane: Gonzaga High football coach Art Dussault had Max Krouse and Shine McKenna lead
the Bullpups in wins over Chewelah, Tekoa, Wallace and Colville, but lost to North Central
High. The school came in second in the city standings, with one win, one loss and one tie.
50 Years Ago: 1952
Oroville: The altar society under the direction of the Dominican Sisters is preparing for
the parish bazaar. Mrs. Norman Schultz and Fabian Kresek are in charge. Father Ray Klemmer took
part in the silver jubilee of Dominican Sisters Celestine Loyola and Theodosia.
Spokane: St. Mary Italian Parish on Liberty and Ralph streets dedicated the new Our Lady
of Fatima shrine. Armenia Bambino built the shrine in memory of Sidney Bambino. New Mass
vestments were donated in memory of Joseph Anselma, Frank Rotando, Frank Mauro, Michael
Nacarotto and Ben Milla.
25 Years Ago: 1977
Spokane: John Durgan of the Kiwanis Club presented a $500 check to Paulette Parks of the
Pregnancy Care Center.
Lourdes, France: Father Roy Thelen, 70, died while serving the sick at the Lourdes
shrine in France. Father Thelen was a long-time pastor in the Spokane Diocese. He spent his
last 14 years ministering at Lourdes.
10 Years Ago: 1992
Pasco: A special Mass at St. Patrick Church honored Sister of Charity Immaculata Burke,
recipient of the papal medal “Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice” – “For the Church and the Pope.” The
medal acknowledges her service to the native Indians of Guatemala.
Inland Register archives
© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved