From the

Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane

Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302

Obituaries

the Inland Register

(From the March 20, 2003 edition of the Inland Register)

Brother William L. Yam SJ

Jesuit Brother William L. “Willie” Yam died Feb. 27.

A vigil service was held Monday, March 3, in the Jesuit House Chapel at Gonzaga University, Spokane. The funeral Mass was celebrated there the following morning. Inurnment was to take place at the Jesuit Cemetery, Mount St. Michael’s, at a later date.

He was born in Manila, Philippines, Aug. 23, 1931. He entered the Jesuit novitiate in 1951 and pronounced first vows in 1953. He pronounced his final vows in 1962 at the Ateneo de Manila University, where he also received his B.A. degree in Political Science.

From 1953 to 1957 Brother served his Jesuit Community at Sacred Heart Novitiate, Los Gatos, Calif., as kitchen and refectory prefect and librarian. Returning to the Philippines he served as librarian at both the Ateneo de Manilia University and the Ateneo de Davoa, Davoa City, Philippines (1963-1972).

After returning to the United States in 1972, Brother Willie joined the library staff at Seattle University, serving there until he chose to pursue an advanced degree in political science and history at both Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Ill., and Seattle University.

In 1978 he officially became a member of the Oregon Province and served as the province archivist at Gonzaga University. Following a year’s sabbatical at the Jesuit School of Theology, Berkeley, Calif., he was named the assistant to the archivist at the Society’s General Curia, Rome.

Deteriorating health brought him back to the States in 1996 and to a residency at Bellarmine High School, Tacoma, Wash. In 2000 his chronic health problems necessitated his move to the Regis Community in Spokane.

Memorial contributions may be made to Senior Fund of Society of Jesus, P.O. Box 86010, Portland, OR 97206.


Inland Register archives

© The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved



Home