Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Sept. 11, 2003 edition of the Inland Register)
Franciscan Sister Edmunda Evans died Aug. 22 in St. Ann Convent, Tacoma, Wash., at the age of 90.
The vigil was the evening of Aug. 26. The funeral Mass was celebrated the next morning. Both took place at St. Ann Convent, Tacoma.
Mary Josephine Evans was born in Columbus, Kan., but had moved to Klamath Falls, Ore., prior to her entrance into the congregation in 1933. She earned her R.N. at St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing in Tacoma, and ministered as a nurse and as a pastoral visitor in hospitals in both Washington and Oregon. Many of her years in healthcare were spent as a maternity supervisor.
Most of her time was spent in the Archdiocese of Seattle. She also ministered from 1964-69 at St. Anne Infant Home, Spokane. In 1987 she moved to St. Ann Convent, Tacoma, where she remained until her death.
Memorial donations can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.
Sister Margaret (Dolorine) Beaulieu, a Sister of Providence for 59 years, died Sept. 4 at Mount St. Joseph, Spokane. She was 78 years old.
The vigil service was Sept. 8; the funeral Mass, Sept. 9. Both were at the chapel at Mount St. Joseph. The funeral was followed by burial at Holy Cross Cemetery
She was born in Spokane and received her early education at Spokane Catholic schools. She graduated from St. Joseph Academy, Sprague, and entered the Providence novitiate the next year.
She professed first vows in 1945 and finaly vows in 1948. She held a bachelorís degree from the College of Great Falls, Mont., and a masterís from Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
She taught in a number of schools in the Inland Northwest, including St. John Academy in Colfax and St. Patrick, Walla Walla.
She retired to Mount St. Joseph in 1990.
Holy Names Sister Helen Hempe, 92, died Aug. 29.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Sept. 9 at the Provincial House chapel at Marylhurst, Ore.
She was born at home, on her familyís homestead outside Troy, Ore. Her family moved to Sandy, Ore., where she was educated. After earning her teaching certificate she entered the Holy Names novitiate in 1934.
Sister Helen taught upper grades in Holy Names schools throughout Oregon and Washington. She served as Supervisor of Schools for the Archdiocese of Portland for three years; was assistant and director of Christie School at Marylhurst; and in 1969 was one of the founders of the Northwest Pilot Project, helping serve the needs of the downtown poor of Portland.
She worked in pastoral care in The Dalles before returning to the convent in 1993, where she cared for other Sisters until illhealth forced her own retirement.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Holy Names Retirement/Ministry Fund, P.O. Box 411, Marylhurst, OR 97036.