Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the May 20, 2004 edition of the Inland Register)
John W. Murphy, a native of Spokane, passed away May 9. He was 91 years old.
Vigil service was May 12 at St. Augustine Church. The funeral Mass was celebrated May 13, also at St. Augustine, followed by interment at Holy Cross Cemetery.
Murphy was president of Central Pre-Mix Concrete Co., founded by his father in 1930. When he retired, he became chairman of the CPM Development Companies until the early 1980s. Murphy worked for the company for over 50 years, except for three years of service in the Navy during World War II.
He was a graduate of Gonzaga High School and Washington State University. He was president of the National Sand and Gravel Association and the United Way of Spokane.
He was a member of several community boards, and was the recipient of many prestigious awards, including Pro Ecclesia Et Pontifice (“For the Church and the Pope”), an award from Pope John Paul and the highest award given to a lay person; and the Bishop’s Medal, awarded to individuals for their dedication to the work of the Church in Eastern Washington, particularly through Catholic Charities.
Murphy was an active member of Our Lady of Fatima Parish and St. Richard in Borrego Springs, CA.
Memorials may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names, 2911 W. Fort George Wright Dr., Spokane, WA 99224; the Poor Clare Nuns, 4419 N. Hawthorne, Spokane, WA 99205; St. Margaret Shelter, c/o Catholic Charities, P.O. Box 1453, Spokane, WA 99210; or the Sister Peter Claver Foundation, P.O. Box 2555, Spokane, WA 99220-2555.