Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington



From the

Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane

Deacon Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302


Operation Rice Bowl grants fund Eastern Washington hunger relief, nutrition efforts

the Inland Register

(From the Nov. 11, 2004 edition of the Inland Register)

During Lent each year, families are encouraged to participate in Operation Rice Bowl (ORB): eating reduced or more simple meals, reflecting on and learning about poverty issues around the world, and donating the money saved on food to Catholic Relief Services (CRS).

CRS is the U.S. bishops’ overseas development and emergency relief agency.

Funds collected through ORB are split: 75 percent is given to the national CRS office for global hunger initiatives; the other 25 percent remains in the diocese for local nutrition and hunger relief organizations.

Local grants have been awarded by the Catholic Relief Services diocesan advisory committee. Thirteen hunger relief and nutrition organizations serving Eastern Washington received grants this year:

• Addy Rescue Mission, Addy.
• Cancer Patient Care, Spokane.
• Care and Share of Lincoln County, Davenport.
• Caritas Center, Spokane.
• Connell Food Bank, Connell.
• The Cove, Twisp.
• Garfield County Food Bank, Pomeroy.
• Northport Food Bank, Northport.
• Omak Food Bank, Omak.
• Our Place, Spokane.
• Pullman Food Bank, Pullman.
• Southside Christian Food Bank, Spokane.
• Spokane AIDS Network, Spokane.

Over $22,000 was donated by parishes, individuals and schools to assist in hunger relief and development efforts, both locally and globally, through Operation Rice Bowl.

For information about ORB and its program of learning, fasting, praying and giving, contact Catholic Charities’ Parish Social Ministry Office: 358-4273 or 1-800-831-1209.


Inland Register archives

Home | Bishop | Communications | Parishes | Catholic Charities

© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved

WEB CONTACT