Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the May 19, 2005 edition of the Inland Register)
Estella Wilson, wife of Deacon Charles Wilson, died May 5.
The funeral Mass was celebrated at Holy Spirit Parish, Kent, Wash., on May 10. Inurnment was the following day.
She was born in Greencreek, Idaho, and graduated from Greencreek High School. On Jan. 8, 1945 she married Charles P. Wilson. After his discharge from the Navy, they settled in Greencreek; they moved to Spokane in 1955, where she was bookkeeper for Our Lady of Fatima Parish. For many years she did laundry every week for out-of-town seminarians, and in every bag of laundered clothes, she would include a fresh supply of her homemade chocolate chip cookies.
Upon retiring in 1981, she and Deacon Wilson traveled around the United States and overseas, and spent winters working with missions in Topawa, Ariz., and with the poor at Casa Franciscana in Guaymas, Mexico. They also enjoyed working several years with the Catholic parish in Oroville, Wash., before settling in Port Angeles near family.
She was a member of Queen of Angels Catholic Church in Port Angeles, St. Martinís Guild, and, until her recent illness, had been an active volunteer at the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store.
She is survived by her loving spouse, Deacon Charles Wilson; three sons and daughters-in-law: Robert and Sundee Wilson, Thomas and Rosemary OíBrien-Wilson, and Joseph and Robin Wilson; three daughters and sons-in-law: Mary and John Murcar, Rachael and David Robinett, and Susan and Peter Waldrip; three brothers: Roman Schumacher, Ambrose Schumacher, and Father Andrew Schumacher; three sisters: Leona Wassmuth, Bernadine Wessels, and Rita Wessels; 20 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.
Memorial contributions may be made to Casa Franciscana-Guaymas: c/o Fr. Elias, PO Box 490, Nogales, AZ 85621-9998∑ or Hospice of Clallam County: 540 E. 8th, Port Angeles, WA 98363.
Dominic William Doyle of the Society of Jesus died May 5 in the Jesuit infirmary at Gonzaga University after a long illness. He was 86 years old.
The vigil service was held May 11 at the Wellpinit Long House, Wellpinit, Wash. The funeral Mass was celebrated May 12 at St. Aloysius Church, Spokane, with interment following immediately at the Jesuit cemetery at Mt. St. Michaelís.
He was born December 17, 1918 in Zurick, Mont. He attended grade school at St. Ann and St. Francis Xavier, and Gonzaga High. After graduation in 1937, he entered the Society of Jesus at Sheridan, Ore.
He studied at Mount St. Michaelís in Spokane in the early 1940s, then served his regency training by teaching at Seattle Prep High School, 1944-1947. He studied theology at Alma College, Calif., and was ordained a priest in 1950 at St. Mary Cathedral in San Francisco.
From 1952-1956, he lived at Wellpinit and served the Spokane and the Kalispell Reservations. The following year he served at DeSmet, Idaho. For some 23 years he taught intermittently at Gonzaga Prep, Spokane, and returned to the Coeur díAlene Reservation in Idaho in the 1990s, followed by another four years on the Spokane Reservation.
In his last years, he struggled with dementia and retired to a care center in Spokane.
He is survived by brothers Patrick and Michael, and by his sisters Irene Trier, Mary Nerenberg, Grace Whipple, Ann Long and Maureen Schauble, and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the Jesuit Senior Fund, Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, P.O. Box 86010, Portland, OR 97286.
Jesuit Father James McCready passed away peacefully on May 10, 2005 after a long illness.
The vigil was held Sunday, May 15, at Jesuit House Chapel, Gonzaga University. The funeral Mass was celebrated the next morning, also at Jesuit House Chapel. Father McCready was buried in the Oregon Province cemetery at Mount St. Michael.
He was born on July 22, 1920 in Greenock, Scotland. He entered the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) at Sheridan, Ore., in September 1954. After completion of his novitiate and first studies, he began philosophy studies at Mount Saint Michaelsís in Spokane in 1957 and completed an MA degree through Gonzaga University in 1960.
As he prepared of ordination to the priesthood, he studied theology at Alma College near San Jose Calif. He was ordained a priest on June 7, 1963 in San Francisco. The following year he completed a masterís degree in sociology at Santa Clara University.
He taught sociology at Gonzaga University from 1965 to 1975, and then began a 20-year career as a retreat director, until his health would no longer permit him to continue full-time work.
Donations in memory of Father McCready may be sent to the Jesuit Senior Fund, Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, P.O. Box 86010, Portland, OR 97286.