Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Franciscan Sister of Perpetual Adoration celebrates 70 years of Religious life
the Inland Register
(From the July 6, 2006 edition of the Inland Register)
Sister Gertrude Rohner (right) of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration celebrated her 70th jubilee at a June 25 Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane.
Sister Gertrude was one of seven Sisters celebrating their 70th jubilee this year; the other six Sisters renewed their vows at the Motherhouse in La Crosse, Wis.
She was born and raised in Spokane, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Rohner. She and her three brothers were baptized at Our Lady of Lourdes and attended Our Lady of Lourdes Academy.
Gertrude was in the second class at Marycliff High School and then entered St. Rose Convent in La Crosse, Wis. On Aug. 5, 1936 she pronounced her first vows.
She received her degrees from Viterbo College in La Crosse.
Sister Gertrude served in health care as a registered nurse and as an x-ray technician. She also established accreditation of a school for student technicians at St. Francis Hospital in La Crosse.
In subsequent years, she ministered as Head Nurse, Department Manager, Nursing Supervisor and Radiation Therapist.
For 20 years, beginning in 1975, she ministered in pastoral care at Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane. Even after her retirement, she continued to volunteer at SHMC for another eight years.
She has served the Cathedral community for the last 10 years as a Eucharistic Minister and lector.