Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Tri-Cities Serra Club adds new members
by Mike Barnett, for the Inland Register
(From the Aug. 23, 2007 edition of the Inland Register)
The newest members of the Tri-Cities Serra Club are, from left, Pat Ellis, Martha Klein and Ana Trejo. (IR photo courtesy of Mike Barnett)
At the June 19, 2007 meeting of the Tri-Cities Serra Club, the three newest members were inducted: Pat Ellis, Martha Klein and Ana Trejo.
• Pat Ellis is a 33-year member of Christ the King Parish, Richland, who belongs to the Young Ladies Association and serves as Eucharistic Minister. She is a retired elementary school teacher with two children and five grandchildren
• Martha Klein is a member of St. Joseph Parish, Kennewick. She has lived in the Tri-Cities for 12 years, served on the Catholic Family and Child Services board, and taught religious education. She and her husband Joe have five children, whom she home schools.
• Ana Trejo, a Texas native, is a three-year member of St. Joseph. She has three grown children. Among many parish related activities, she is a Eucharistic Minister and a Catholic Daughter of the Americas.
Father John Birk, chaplain for the Tri-Cities Serra Club, and newly-installed president Joan Toth induct the new members.
Other new members, all members of St. Joseph Parish, Kennewick, include:
• Muriel Berry, who has been a member of St. Joseph since 1947. She belongs to the Altar Society, the Catholic Daughters of America and is a Red Hatter. She has two children, four grandchildren, eight great grandchildren and six great-great-grandchildren.
• Robert and Svitlana Chmura have lived in the Tri-Cities for two years. Robert is originally from New York and Svitlana is a Ukraine native. He is an officer in the Knights of Columbus and she is completing her U.S. citizenship requirements. As an answer to many long-time prayers, they are expecting their first child.
• Katherine Derfler has been a member of St. Joseph for almost 50 years. She is a retired educator, who taught at both the elementary and college levels. She has three children, four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
• Joe and Nina Ginter have been St. Joseph parishioners for 32 years. Joe assists the parish with carpentry and maintenance tasks. Nina services and maintains altar linens. They have seven children, 19 grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
• Bob and Jan Squires have been members of St. Joseph for over 25. Bob belongs to the Knights of Columbus and serves on the Literacy Board. Jan serves on the pastoral council and is a charter member of the United Blind Society of the Tri-Cities.