Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Aug. 21, 2008 edition of the Inland Register)
Archdiocese of Portland
SHAW – It’s all about meeting the needs of parishioners.
So last month, St. Mary Parish’s bulletin included a recipe for deer repellant.
GRESHAM – Former youth minister and Catholic goods retailer Tom Stein is the new president of a Catholic school in Haiti, where some of the world’s poorest children are educated for free.
Stein will head up Louverture Cleary School in Port Au Prince. He also will serve as head of the Haitian Project, a foundation that raises money for the urban campus.
Besides youth ministry, Stein is one of the founders of Los Embajadores, which organizes mission trips for teens from the United States to Mexico. Several groups from the Spokane Area have taken part in Los Embajadores trips over the years.
Stein and his wife, Eileen, had often talked over the years about becoming missionaries. Their six oldest children are now grown; their two youngest will go with them to Haiti.
ELGIN – It’s been an ecumenical kind of summer for St. Mary Parish.
The Catholic parish joined forces with four other denominations, including the local Nazarene and Seventh Day Adventist congregations, for Vacation Bible School this year. Around 70 children participated, and pastors from the various churches took part as well.
Later this month, all seven of the town’s churches will gather for their annual all-church picnic in the city park.
LA GRANDE – Some people will steal anything that isn’t nailed down.
Falling into that category was the figure of the Baby Jesus, the centerpiece of Our Lady of the Valley’s outdoor Nativity display. The figure was not only stolen but, when it was found, was found destroyed.
Stepping forward to replace the figure were some hard-working teenagers who raised the funds, purchased the replacement, and earlier this summer presented the new figure to the youth of the parish.
The fund-raisers making the purchase and the presentation are Latter-Day Saints.
— Catholic Sentinel (Archdiocese of Portland)
MARYSVILLE – The restoration work on Our Lady of Lourdes Church was completed July 2, and community members past and present gathered to celebrate last month.
The church was built in 1886.
In addition to celebrating the restoration, parishioners also marked the 150th anniversary of the apparitions of the Blessed Mother to St. Bernadette near Lourdes, France.
Bishop George Thomas concelebrated Mass with Father Dan Shea, pastor of Marysville, as well as Our Lady of the Valley Parish, Helena, and Sacred Heart Mission, Wolf Creek.
— The Montana Catholic (Diocese of Helena)
GREAT FALLS – A sophomore at Carroll College, Helena, and two juniors at Central Catholic High School in Great Falls collaborated to create and present a puppet show at the Lewis and Clark Festival earlier this summer.
The show presented the animals the explorers encountered on their travels through Montana.
HAYS – Bishop Michael Warfel has announced that the grade school at St. Paul Mission, totally destroyed by fire last June, will be rebuilt.
“The continuation of Catholic educational and religious programs in Hays is of vital importance to the life of the parish, the diocese, and the community,” he said.
Hopes now are that the new building will be ready for school in August 2009.
The mission was established by the Society of Jesus for the Gros Ventre and Assiniboine tribes in 1886. The grade school, staffed by Ursuline Sisters, opened the next year.
— The Harvest (Diocese of Great Falls-Billings)