Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Dec. 4, 2008 edition of the Inland Register)
Robert V. “Bob” Lyons, the father of Jesuit Father Bob Lyons, died Nov. 14 in Spokane at the age of 94.
The vigil service was held at Jesuit House Chapel, on the campus of Gonzaga University, on Nov. 17. The funeral Mass was celebrated at Our Lady of Fatima Church the next morning. Burial was at Holy Cross Cemetery, Spokane.
He was born in Spokane on July 8, 1914, and graduated from Gonzaga High School in 1932, working part-time at Spokane Surgical Supply. He attended Gonzaga University and continued at Spokane Surgical, where he became the Inland Empire Sales Representative in 1936. Bob married his loving wife, Yvonne E. Waller, in 1937; they had known each other since the 4th grade at St. Francis of Assisi Grade School.
In 1943 he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, where he served as a Pharmacists’ Mate. He helped get the Farragut U.S. Naval Hospital furnished and supplied during World War II. After the War, in 1959, Bob acquired an interest in Spokane Surgical and was the CEO. He became the sole owner in 1972.
From 1970-1973 he served as the Regional Director of the American Surgical Trade Association.
He sold the company in 1980 to begin an active retirement. Bob was an active member of Our Lady of Fatima Parish, the Serra Club, and the Knights of Columbus, and was a generous supporter of Gonzaga Preparatory School and Gonzaga University.
He is survived by his wife, Yvonne; son, Jesuit Father Robert V. Lyons, Spokane; daughter, Eileen Lyons, of North Pole, Alaska; and sisters Marguerite Baldwin and Marie Zimmer, both of Spokane.
Sister Grace McDonald of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration died Nov. 16, 2008, at Villa St. Joseph, La Crosse, Wis. She was 90 years old and in the 72nd year of her Religious profession.
Sister Grace ministered as an elementary teacher for nine years and secondary teacher for two years in schools in Iowa and Wisconsin. After earning M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in history, she taught in the history department of Viterbo College for eight years. Sister Grace was named President of Viterbo in 1960 and served in this capacity until her election as FSPA President in 1970.
After eight years, Sister Grace moved to Spokane, where she was provincial of the FSPA Western Province from 1978-1982. Following a year’s sabbatical she served as Archivist for the Western Province for a year before being appointed FSPA Congregational Secretary.
After two years Sister Grace became FSPA archivist, a position she held for six years. From 1992 until the time of her death, Sister Grace was the FSPA historian.
She retired at St. Rose Convent in 2004 and to Villa St. Joseph last January.