Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Compiled by Father Tom Caswell, for the Inland Register
(From the May 21, 2009 edition of the Inland Register)
Volume 17 – No. 43
50 Years Ago: June 5, 1959
Mrs. Swindal New Prexy of Colfax Deanery
Colton – Mrs. Mark Swindal of Pullman was elected president of the District Council of Catholic Women (DCCW) at the Colfax Deanery meeting on May 20. Mrs. Joseph Sauve, Uniontown, will serve as secretary, and Mrs. Arthur Kleweno, Tekoa, as treasurer.
DCCW delegates elected were Mrs. Remo Fausti, Pullman; Mrs. L.K. Lauritzen, Tekoa; Mrs. Alice Hoffman, Rosalia; Mrs. William Kramer, Clarkston, and Mrs. Dan Dahmen, Uniontown.
The meeting opened with a 10:30 am. High Mass celebrated in St. Gall Church by Father William Brennan. Father James E. Grant, assistant pastor of Holy Family Parish, Clarkston, gave a sermon on “The Dignity of Women,” stressing that “God has given you a right to womanly dignity, but it is up to you to maintain that dignity.”
Mrs. Dan Dahmen, outgoing president, presided at the council’s business meeting, with Father Anton Flour, Pullman, dean of the Colfax deanery, serving as moderator.
Bishop Topel addressed the group on the importance of consecration of individuals, families, groups, parishes, and nations to the Immaculate Heart. Father David E. Rosage, director of the Immaculate Heart Retreat House, spoke on “Operation Retreat.”
Mrs. Kathryn Oriard of Marshall reported on Father Peyton’s rosary film; Mrs. Jerome Reisenauser, Genesee, district spiritual development chairman spoke on “The Importance of the Family Rosary;” and Mrs. Thomas Kelley, Spokane, President of the DCCW, stressed the family rosary as the council’s No. 1 project.
Next meeting will be at Clarkston, it was announced.
Volume 41 – No. 40
25 Years Ago: June 6, 1984
St. Mary’s Mission Marks Church’s 75th Anniversary
St. Mary’ Mission on the Colville Indian Reservation combined the 75th anniversary celebration of the church building with Bishop Welsh’s June 3 annual Corpus Christi visit.
Bishop Welsh confirmed five people during the Mass, then joined over 170 participants in a traditional procession to the mission’s cemetery. A feast featuring traditional Native American foods such as smoked salmon followed.
“We are here to honor this church building, this Gate to Heaven,” Bishop Welsh told the gathering during his sermon. “We are thankful for the many people who have come through this church and for the priests who have served here.
“Our minds turn in a special way to Fathers DeRouge and Caldi. They spent many years here and served well.”
To most present, Father Etienne DeRouge, who founded St. Mary’s Mission in 1886, and his successor, Father Celestine Caldi SJ, are as shrouded in history as the completion of the church building itself. A few of the elder Indians could remember events surrounding the church’s 1915 dedication, though.
“That’s the new building,” said Lilian Best, age 92. “Father DeRouge’s old church was down on the corner.”
Moses George remembered the early Corpus Christi processions to the cemetery, then led by Father DeRouge. Those walks were done at night by the light of bonfires.
The church building hasn’t changed much in appearance since its early days, according to George. He noted that electric lighting has replaced carbon lamps and that the building has been restored during the past year.
“In fact, it looks a little better today” than after its completion, he said.
Only feast days, celebrations, and events such as wedding and funerals are now held at the mission, according to Father John Morton, SJ, co-pastor. Weekly mass is at St. Joseph in nearby East Omak.
Bishop Welsh’s appearance ended a two day trip to the Colville reservation. He also took part in Corpus Christi services at Inchelium and Nespelem.
(Father Caswell is archivist and Ecumenical Relations Officer for the Diocese of Spokane, and a regular contributor to this publication.)