Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Oct. 21, 2010 edition of the Inland Register)
Sister Lillian Anderson, a member of the Sisters of the Holy Names, died Sept. 29 in Spokane. She was 80 years old.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Oct. 8 at the Convent of the Holy Names, Spokane.
Sister Lillian born May 9, 1930. After attending John Hay Elementary School she decided to enroll at Holy Names Academy, where she met the Holy Names Sisters and discerned her call to Religious life.
She joined the community after graduating from high school. She went on to earn an education degree from Marylhurst College in Oregon, as well as masterís degrees from St. Johnís University in Collegeville, Minn., and Seattle University.
She made vows in 1950.
Much of her life was spent ministering in primary grade education, including years at Cataldo School, Spokane. She later served in pastoral ministry at parishes in Kent and Tacoma, Wash.
Sister Lillian also was involved in formation work for her community, and served the order as Apostolic Director as well.
Failing health prompted her in 2008 to come to Convent of the Holy Names in Spokane.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Retirement Fund, 2911 W. Fort Wright Dr., Spokane, WA 99224.
Sister Kathleen Anne Carroll of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia died Sept. 21 in Tacoma at the age of 82. She had been a professed member of her Religious community for 63 of her 82 years.
Vigil and funeral Mass were celebrated at St. Ann Convent, Tacoma.
Sister Kathleen was born in Robertstown, Co. Kildare, Ireland. She entered the congregation in 1943 and professed her first vows in 1947.
She earned a B.A. in English from Immaculata College, San Diego, and an M.A. from Seattle University. She ministered primarily in education, but also served in eldercare and social services.
Her assignments included teaching in St. Charles School, Spokane, and social service ministry at St. Francis Guest House, also in Spokane.
Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Rd., Aston, PA 19014.
Holy Names Sister Mary Lillian Gagner died Sept. 27 in Spokane. The funeral Mass was celebrated Oct. 2 at the Convent of the Holy Names, Spokane.
A native of Seattle, she joined the Holy Names community in 1936 and began a long ministry of music education. She held a degree in music from Marylhurst College, Ore., and gave lessons on a variety of instruments, as well as voice and classroom singing, for 24 years, until she moved to full-time classroom teaching in 1962.
In 1981, Sister Lillian retired from teaching and came to Convent of the Holy Names in Spokane to be of service to her Religious Sisters in the retirement and care center. She worked in the kitchen scullery, kept the dining room spotless and decorated for every season and feast day, set up the tables for special events, made aprons and pot holders for the kitchen crew, did all the kitchen laundry, gardened and harvested food for the Sisters, created memorial displays, prepared and hostessed receptions following Vigil services for Sisters who had died, designed bulletin boards, and more.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Retirement Fund, 2911 W. Fort Wright Dr., Spokane, WA 99224
Dominican Sister Mary Agnes Koenig passed away Oct. 10, 2010 in Chewelah, Wash., at the age of 82.
The rosary was prayed for her the evening of Oct. 15 at St. Mary of the Rosary Church, Chewelah. The funeral Mass was celebrated there the next morning. Burial followed, at Holy Cross Cemetery, Spokane.
She was born on March 27, 1928 at her home in Conrad., Mont. She graduated from Conrad High School in 1946 and entered the convent in Kettle Falls, Wash. She made her first vows in 1948 and made final profession in 1952.
She attended the Sacred Heart School of Nursing in Spokane and became a registered nurse before earning a bachelor of science degree in nursing from Carroll College in Helena, Mont. She went on to earn a masterís degree in hospital administration from St. Louis University.
Sister Mary Agnes was very involved in the building of Holy Family Hospital in Spokane, and served as its first administrator. She also worked very hard with other Chewelah leadership to establish and, later, administer a new St. Joseph Hospital there.
For 10 years she was administrator of Immaculate Heart Retreat House (now Center) in Spokane, followed by five years as a pastoral associate in her home town of Conrad, Mont. She then retired to St. Joseph Convent, Chewelah, continuing to help the pastoral care department at St. Joseph Hospital there.
Memorial contributions may be given to DominiCare or Hospice of Spokane.