Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the Jan. 13, 2011 edition of the Inland Register)
Sister Dorothy Amon of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration died Dec. 14 at Villa St. Joseph, La Crosse, Wis. She was 96.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Dec. 17 at St. Rose Convent, La Crosse. Burial was in Gate of Heaven Cemetery.
She was born in Louisville, Ky, and entered St. Rose Convent in 1929. Ministering in the field of education, she taught on the elementary level for 11 years in Iowa and Wisconsin. From 1944-1950 she served as the FSPA Congregational School Supervisor and then as La Crosse Diocesan School Supervisor.
After earning a Ph.D. from St. Louis University, Sister Dorothy continued as Director of Schools for the diocese. She taught at Carroll College, Helena, Mont., and Gonzaga University and Fort Wright College, Spokane.
In 1970 Sister Dorothy was appointed Provincial of the Western Province, a position she held for eight years. After serving as associate director of Villa Marie, Spokane, she remained active as a retreat and spiritual director and counselor. Sister Dorothy was involved with the Secular Franciscans in Spokane for many years. She retired to Villa St. Joseph in 2001.
Memorials may be sent to Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, 912 Market Street, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601-4782.
Sister Mary Kay Henry of the Benedictine Sisters of the Monastery of St. Gertrude died Dec. 22 after a long struggle with cancer. She was 69.
The rosary was prayed Dec. 28; the funeral Mass was celebrated Dec. 29, both in the monastery chapel. A memorial Mass was celebrated that day at St. Mary Parish, Boise.
She grew up on a cattle and sheep ranch in Bill, Wyo. She recognized the calling to a Religious life very early and entered the monastery community Aug. 15, 1955, at the age of 14. She made her First Profession in 1959.
Sister Mary Kay attended Marillac College in St. Louis and Mundelein College in Chicago. She was a classroom teacher at St. Mary, Boise; St. Paul, Nampa; St. Nicholas, Rupert; St. Maurus, Ferdinand; St. Anthony, Greencreek; St. Joseph and Prairie Middle School, Cottonwood; and Sacred Heart, Boise. She also served as a religious education director and/or pastoral associate at St. Paul Parish, Nampa; Our Lady of the Rosary, Boise; Our Lady of Lourdes, Lewiston; and Assumption Parish, Spokane.
She served as St. Gertrude’s Director of Formation in 1988-89 and was Director of Retreat Ministry in 1990-1991. Sister Mary Kay was elected Prioress in 1993 and at the end of her six-year term, became director of the monastery’s development office.
Donations may be made in Sister Mary Kay’s honor to the Monastery of St. Gertrude.