Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the October 20, 2011 edition of the Inland Register)
Benedictine Sister Mary Petronilla Lieser died Sept. 7, 2011 at the Monastery of St. Gertrude in Cottonwood, Idaho. She was 91 years old.
The Vigil Service was held Sept. 13; the funeral Mass was celebrated the next afternoon, both at the monastery.
She was born April 1, 1920, in Zion Township, Paynesville, Minn., and made her First Profession on June 29, 1940, at St. Gertrude.
From then until 1984 she worked in the kitchen and laundry at Our Lady of Consolation Hospital, as school cook at St. Paul School in Nampa, at St. Gertrude Academy in Cottonwood, and as head of the dietary department at St. Mary Hospital in Cottonwood.
In 1984 Sister Petronilla began parish ministry at St. Rita Parish in Kellogg, Idaho and then at St. Theresa Parish in Orofino, Idaho. In both parishes she was able to express her creativity and love of people through outreach for Habitat for Humanity, St. Vincent de Paul, and home and prison ministries.
After retiring to the Monastery in Cottonwood, she ministered to inmates at the North Idaho Correctional Institution.
Sister Debbie Fischer of the Sisters of the Holy Names died Oct. 9 in Spokane. She was 80 years old.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Oct. 14, at the Convent of the Holy Names, Spokane.
Luella Rose Fischer was born Feb. 24, 1931, in Dickinson, N.D., the first of three girls born to Joseph and Frances Emmil Fischer. After moving to Spokane she graduated from St. Aloysius Elementary School and Holy Names Academy High School.
She entered the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, pronouncing her vows in 1952 as Sister M. Deborah Ann.
Sister began her life of ministry by cooking for the Sisters, especially for those in the Care Center, but when she was asked to be the Infirmarian, participating in the hands-on care of the Sisters, she discovered gifts for caring that led her to study to be a Licensed Practical Nurse. She continued to be of service to her Sisters until 1973 when she was hired by Sacred Heart Hospital (now Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center) for the Pediatrics unit.
In 1989, illness ended that part of her life and she came to the Convent of the Holy Names as a patient herself. By 1992, Sister Debbie again resumed her life of service within her Religious community. She worked in the main laundry for the Care Center, but her favorite things were cooking, baking and giving parties.
When she was unable to do the work she had been doing, she continued to provide thoughtful and caring gestures to others, and to tend to any pets within her reach, giving and receiving love and affection.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Retirement Fund, 2911 W. Fort Wright Dr., Spokane, WA 99224.