Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Spokane’s Episcopal bishop among IHRC presenters next month
the Inland Register
(From the April 19, 2012 edition of the Inland Register)
Bishop Blase Cupich completes his current schedule of “First Friday with the Bishop” at Immaculate Heart Retreat Center (IHRC) on Friday, May 4, with a program titled “Report on my Ad Limina Visit to Rome.” The event begins with Mass at 11:15 a.m., followed by lunch. After a 30-minute informal talk by the bishop, First Friday ends at 1 p.m. after a session of questions and answers. Cost is $15 to cover lunch. Advance reservations are required.
• For teens, their parents, youth groups and youth leaders, IHRC’s current series of “Theology of the Body for Teens,” based on the teachings of Blessed Pope John Paul II, concludes May 17, with a program titled “Dating with Purpose and Purity,” facilitated by Father Jeff Core.
Father Core is parochial vicar of the parishes in Walla Walla and chaplain at DeSales High School, Walla Walla.
The session begins at 6 p.m. with a simple supper and ends about 8:30 p.m. Cost per session is $10 per person with family and group rates available.
A new schedule for the series will begin in the Fall.
• For adults, IHRC’s year-long study program “Catholicism” continues on Tuesday, May 29 with “Mary, the Mother of God.” Sessions are at noon (includes lunch) and 5:30 p.m. (includes dinner), and end by 8:30 p.m.
Facilitated by the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church, the series continues on a monthly basis through December 2012 on the last Tuesday of the month except for Dec. 18.
The cost per session is $20 per person or special pricing of $15 per person prepaid for all 12 sessions. Family rates are available.
• IHRC hosts its ninth annual Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 13, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
The brunch includes an all-you-can-eat buffet with carving station, champagne, omelets to order prepared by students from Spokane Community College’s Culinary Arts Program , and dessert bar. Moms will receive a special gift. Guests are welcome to linger over their meals and to wander the scenic grounds.
More than 300 people attended the 2011 brunch.
Cost is $25 for adults and $10 for children ages 6-12 at the door. Advance reservations are requested. Event proceeds support IHRC’s retreat ministries.
• Episcopal Bishop James Waggoner Jr. is the final speaker for IHRC’s week-day series “Coffee and Contemplation,” on Wednesday, May 16. The program is titled “Spring of the Spirit: How to Sustain Spiritual Growth” and runs from 9-11 a.m. Warm beverages and rolls will be served.
Rev. Waggoner serves as the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane. He has been an Episcopal priest for 30 years, and a leader in lifelong faith formation.
Cost is $10 per session. Advance reservations are requested.
• For those interested in an introduction to the practices of St. Ignatius Loyola, IHRC welcomes Jesuit Father Craig Hightower for an Ignatian Weekend Retreat Friday-Sunday, May 18-20.
Right: Father Craig Hightower SJ (IR file photo)
The retreat focuses on examen, the method on which St. Ignatius, founder of the Society of Jesus, based the way to sanctity.
Father Hightower is head of Campus Ministry at Gonzaga University and serves as chaplain for the Spokane Serra Club.
Costs for the retreat are $185 per person or $280 per couple for overnight accommodations and five meals or $100 for commuters (meals program only).
Thirty-day and eight-day Ignatian Retreats with Jesuit Father Armand Nigro are scheduled at the Retreat Center for July through early August. More information about those retreats are available on IHRC’s web site.
Looking forward into 2012:
Right: Father David Kuttner (IR file photo)
• Wednesday, May 30: Marian Day of Prayer with Father David Kuttner, pastor of the parishes in Oroville and Tonasket. 9 a.m.–2:30 p.m.; $35 per person.
• Friday-Sunday, June 1-3: Serenity 12-Step Weekend Retreat, with Sister Linda Fischer of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ. $185 per person or $100 for commuters.
• Monday-Friday, June 18–22: Contemplation In Action Work Retreat for Men and Women with Father Jeff Core. No charge. Meals and lodging provided.
IHRC is located at 6910 S. Ben Burr Rd. in Spokane. For more information or to register call (509) 448-1224 or visit IHRC’s web site – www.ihrc.net – or the IHRC page on FaceBook.
(IR file photos)