Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Compiled by Father Tom Caswell, for the Inland Register
(From the Aug. 16, 2012 edition of the Inland Register)
Vol. XX, No. 52
50 Years Ago: Aug. 3, 1962
Construction to begin on general hospital
Work will begin soon on construction of a new $3.4 million general hospital on the North Side of Spokane, to be run by the Dominican Sisters of Kettle Falls.
The 150-bed hospital will be located on a site just north of and adjoining Holy Family nursing home, N. 5525 Lidgerwood, which was completed in July 1960.
Second step in a long-range program toward a complete medical center for the 40-acre site, the structure will face Lidgerwood between Central and Rowan just north of the nursing home. John W. Maloney is the architect.
The new institution will be known as Holy Family Hospital, and will be the first entirely air-conditioned hospital in Eastern Washington. Of reinforced concrete and masonry throughout, it will be fully equipped with such special facilities as an emergency department, diagnostic and deep therapy, x-ray, pathology, laboratories, surgeries, physical therapy, obstetrical departments, intensive care units, post anesthesia department, and nursing units.
Floors will be of terrazzo throughout, and windows framed in aluminum. A kitchen and cafeteria will be located on the ground floor.
Access from the new hospital to the present nursing home will be a connecting underground tunnel and closed-in passageway.
A new chapel to be built between the two buildings will be connected to both by means of this passageway.
All patients’ rooms will be either private or semi-private, complete with private toilet and private or shared bath facilities. All rooms will have piped-in oxygen and suction lines.
In announcing the new program last week, Mother Mary Alberta, provincial superior of the Dominican Sisters in Washington, said that “when the building is completed, it will be one of the most modern and up-to-date hospitals in the Northwest.”
The Dominican Sisters came to Washington in 1930 from Montana. The community was founded in Spires, Germany, in 1842, and established its first U.S. house in 1925 in Helena, Mont., at Carroll College.
The Sisters staff hospitals in Chewelah, Colville, and Tonasket in this diocese, and run a nursing home in Tonasket as well as Spokane. They also teach at St. Mary Mission, Omak, and Assumption School, Spokane, and this fall will begin teaching at St. Thomas More Parish’s new school. They also take care of the domestic work at Immaculate Heart Retreat House here.
The motherhouse and novitiate for the United States is at Kettle Falls, Wash.
Vol. 45, No. 2
25 Years Ago: Aug. 6, 1987
Two Gonzaga Prep trustees honored for service
Gonzaga Prep’s Board of Trustees has named recipients of the school’s two highest awards.
Marilynn R. McKenna is the 19th recipient of the St. Aloysius Gonzaga medal, and Jesuit Father Frank B. Costello is the 1987 Alumnus of the Year.
The St. Aloysius medal was instituted by the Board of Trustees in 1963 to honor individuals who have shown outstanding service to Jesuit secondary education and Gonzaga Prep.
The Alumnus of the Year award, instituted in 1978, is given to a former student of Gonzaga Prep to recognize achievement in the areas of commerce, education, religion or the arts, and for outstanding service to the community and to Prep.
McKenna has been a member of the school’s Board of Trustees for the last 12 years, and was chair of the Board from 1982-85. She retired from the Board at the end of this school year.
During her tenure as chair, the school’s Five-Year Long-Range Plan was developed by the Board of Trustees and the construction of the Winifred Portnoy Kubiak Fine Arts Center was completed.
A 1958 graduate of Spokane’s Holy names College, McKenna is a sustaining member of the Junior League, a charter member of Pregnancy Care of Spokane, and a former member of the Board of Directors of Catholic Charities.
Father Costello, a Spokane native, is a member of Gonzaga High School’s Class of 1939. He holds degrees from Gonzaga, Fordham, and Georgetown universities.
He has served at Jesuit educational institutions such as Seattle University and Gonzaga University, and in January of this year was named rector of the Gonzaga Prep Jesuit Community. He has been a member of Prep’s Board of Trustees since 1979.
He has been Vice President of the Catholic Association for International Peace and President of the World Without War Council, and served on the commission appointed to review Spokane’s City Charter, as well as the Spokane Arts Commission.
(Father Caswell is archivist for the Inland Register, and a frequent contributor to this publication.)