Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Coming IHRC events include Mother’s Day Brunch, Grief Retreat
the Inland Register
(From the April 18, 2013 edition of the Inland Register)
Ongoing and continuing programs feature in the calendar for Immaculate Heart Retreat Center, Spokane, in the coming months.
• IHRC offers Theology of the Body for Teens, a program based on Blessed John Paul II’s teachings from Genesis and Ephesian. This teaching is especially helpful for those who are dating or may be dating in the future.
The program is led by Father Jeff Lewis on Thursday, April 18 and May 16, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. All teens age 14-18 are welcome, as well as the parents of those attending teens and any youth leaders.
Cost is $10 per session per participant and includes dinner.
• Bishop Blase Cupich continues his popular “First Fridays with the Bishop” series on Friday, May 3, with a program titled “Relationship of the Pope and the Bishops.”
The event begins with Mass at 11:15 a.m., followed by lunch and informal talk by the bishop, and ends by 1 p.m. with a question-and-answer session.
Cost is $15; advance reservations are required.
Bishop Cupich’s series will continue through June.
• IHRC’s Spring Grief Retreat is titled “Living through Grief,” scheduled for Friday-Sunday, May 3-5.
Leading the retreat is a three-member team: Father Stan Malnar M.D.; Dr. Jim Shaw, also a physician and former director of ethics at Spokane’s Providence Center for Faith and Healing; and Sheryll Shepard, a chaplain for Hospice of Spokane.
They will lead participants into the journey of understanding grief and passing through the Paschal Mystery. Conferences will touch on woundedness, recovery from losses, forgiveness, healing, and celebrating life.
The weekend begins after dinner on Friday at 6 p.m. and extends through lunch on Sunday.
Retreat cost is $185 for singles or $280 for couples and $100 for commuters. Early registration is recommended.
• IHRC will host its annual Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch on Sunday, May 12 – Mother’s Day – from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
The event features an all-you-can-eat buffet, children’s activities, and a special gift for mom. Cost is $25 for adults and $10 for children ages 6-12 at the door; advance reservations are requested. Event proceeds support Immaculate Heart’s retreat ministries.
• The series “Coffee and Contemplation,” a spiritual discussion and prayer event for people of all denominations, concludes on Wednesday, May 15, 2013, with a presentation on “Covenant Relationships” by IHRC’s director, Deacon John Ruscheinsky.
The program runs from 9-11 a.m. and includes warm beverages and rolls. Cost is $10 per session; advance reservations are requested.
• The weekend of May 31-June 2, IHRC hosts its semi-annual Serenity 12-Step Retreat, “Keep It Simple and Use the Steps: A Weekend of Practical Spiritual Practice,” presented by Jesuit Father Tom Weston.
Father Weston will focus on the practical steps and tools for recovery from alcoholism and addiction and assist participants as to what can fill the void once one has made a decision of healing. Alcoholics, addicts, friends and family members are all welcome. The conferences will concentrate on recovery and how to gain serenity in the midst of addiction, remaining clean, sober and useful.
This retreat will also provide two breaks for open 12-Step Meetings.
The weekend begins after dinner on Friday at 6 p.m. and extends through lunch on Sunday. Retreat cost is $185 for singles or $280 for couples and $100 for commuters; some scholarships are available.
Early registration is recommended.
• Kathy Moore returns to IHRC for a weekend healing retreat for men and women Friday-Sunday, June 14-16, titled “Greater Things You Shall Do In My Name.” Moore will introduce God’s Word in his power to produce love, freedom, joy, self-abandonment, and trust.
This retreat will include a special remembrance of Sister Mary Matthew Griffith, CSJP, who died March 12 after committing to co-presenting this retreat.
• IHRC hosts their new “Speak Lord…: A 24-Hour State-of-Life Discernment Retreat for Young Adults” with Father Jeff Core on Friday and Saturday, June 21-22.
Father Core and other prsenters will explain how to discover one’s state of life through such practices as the Ignatian discernment of spirits and through deep prayer and meditation.
This retreat is for single men and women, late high school and beyond, who are discerning a state of life. Presenters include a married couple, a single committed adult, a permanent deacon, and a Religious Sister who will share their journey of discernment at this retreat along with Father Core, who spent many years discerning his state of life and his priesthood. He is now the parochial vicar and Canonical Administrator of Walla Walla Catholic Schools.
Retreat Cost is $100; some scholarships are available. Advance registration is requested.
IHRC is located at 6910 S. Ben Burr Rd., Spokane. Information and registration are available by calling (509) 448-1224, or through IHRC’s web site: www.ihrc.net
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved