Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the November 21, 2013 edition of the Inland Register)
Holy Names Sister Eleanor Holkenbrink died Oct. 11, in Spokane. She was 95 years old.
The funeral Mass was celebrated Oct. 17 at the Convent of the Holy Names, Spokane, followed by interment at Holy Cross Cemetery.
Eleanor Holkenbrink was born March 24, 1917, in Portland, Ore., to Henry F. and Nell Rickard Holkenbrink. She attended St. Stephen and St. Phillip Neri Schools in Portland, but finished elementary school at Cathedral in Seattle after the family had relocated.
She attended St. Mary High School but graduated from Immaculate.
Although Eleanor had earned a scholarship to Marylhurst College, she chose to begin her Religious life with the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in 1934.
She subsequently earned a B.A. in Education from Holy Names College, Spokane, and a M.Ed. from Seattle University.
She began her career of teaching in 1936, and elementary school administration in 1963, ministering at Sacred Heart, St. Joseph and St. Mark Parish Schools in Seattle. She loved her ministry, and the fact that many of her students still keep in touch with her is testimony to her ability to challenge and inspire them to reach their full potential. She also had the ability to prepare students to be civic minded by encouraging them to enter poster and essay contests. She also instilled self-confidence in students by preparing them for speech and debate contests and the National Spelling Bee.
In her retirement, Sister Eleanor continued to organize the Perpetual Adoration Program for a further 10 years at St. Mark Parish, Seattle, and to enjoy the people with whom she came in contact.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Sisters of the Holy Names Retirement Fund, 2911 W. Fort Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224.
Sister Ruth Roland of the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa died Oct. 12 at the Sinsinawa Dominican Motherhouse, Sinsinawa, Wis.
The funeral Mass was celebrated at The Gathering Place, Sinsinawa, Wis., Oct. 18. Burial in the motherhouse cemetery followed.
Sister Ruth was born Jan. 5, 1922, in Bloomington, Ill., the daughter of Ralph and Edna (Krue) Roland.
She made her first Religious profession as a Sinsinawa Dominican Aug. 7, 1941, and her final profession Aug. 7, 1944. She taught for 22 years and served as principal for six years and school business officer for two years.
Sister Ruth cared for the needs of the elderly for 37 years. She served in Wisconsin, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Washington.
In the Diocese of Spokane, Sister Ruth lived in community and volunteered at the Dominican Center, Spokane, in 2009.
Memorials may be made to the Sinsinawa Dominicans, 585 County Road Z, Sinsinawa, WI, 53824-9701.
Sister Agnes McLoughlin of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia died at St. Ann Convent, Tacoma, on Nov. 9. She had been a professed member of her Religious community for 74 of her 93 years.
All services were scheduled for St. Ann Convent: the vigil on Nov. 13, and the funeral Mass celebrated Nov. 14. Burial was at Calvary Cemetery, Tacoma.
She was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, and entered Religious life in 1936 in Mallow, County Cork. She professed her first vows in 1939 at St. Joseph Academy in Pendleton, Ore.
Sister Agnes earned a B.S. in Elementary Education from Marylhurst College, Marylhurst, Ore., in 1949; an M.Ed. from Seattle University in 1963; and an M.A. in Anthropology from Eastern Oregon College, LaGrande, in 1970.
She ministered primarily in education on both elementary and secondary levels, as well as in parish ministry, throughout the United States. In Spokane, she was part of the support staff at the Kairos House of Prayer and served at St. Joseph Orphanage, and also was a volunteer at St. Joseph Family Center.
Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.
Sister Agnes Schweiger of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, died Nov. 11 at Villa St. Joseph, La Crosse, Wis. She was 92 years old, and in the 60th year of her Religious profession.
A prayer service was scheduled for Nov. 13 in Mary of the Angels Chapel, St. Rose Convent, in La Crosse. The funeral Mass was celebrated Nov. 14, also in Mary of the Angels Chapel. Burial, with full military honors, was at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, La Crosse.
She was born Dec. 20, 1920, on a wheat and cattle ranch not far from Colfax, Wash. She attended St. John School, Colfax, for grades 1-3 and La Crosse Grade and High School in Washington before entering nurses training at Sacred Heart School of Nursing, Spokane.
Agnes joined the Air Force and was an air evacuation nurse. She served during World War II in the U.S. Army Air Force as officer, rising to the rank of first lieutenant. For her contribution she received the Asiatic Pacific Service Medal, the American Campaign Medal and World War II Victory Medal.
After her travels she took a job in industrial nursing. She attended Gonzaga University and earned a degree in nursing education and public health nursing. Through all these years Agnes experienced a discontent, a wondering if she had found her place in life. She entered St. Rose Convent before the year 1950 had ended.
Agnes was received into the novitiate on Aug. 12, 1951, and was given the name Sister Gonzaga. She later returned to her baptismal name. Sister Gonzaga pronounced first vows on Aug. 12, 1953, and made final profession on Aug. 11, 1959.
She was a nursing instructor at Viterbo College, La Crosse, Wis., and worked at Holy Names Infirmary and Holy Names Care Center, Spokane, from 1983-2001. She retired in Spokane in 2002 and moved to La Crosse in 2005.
Memorials may be sent to Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, 912 Market Street, La Crosse, Wis. 54601-8800.
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved