Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Collection for the Catholic Church in the United States to be taken up this month
the Inland Register
(From the May 15, 2014 edition of the Inland Register)
This weekend, May 17-18, parishes in the Spokane Diocese will be taking up the annual Collection for the Catholic Church in the United States (CCUS).
CCUS is one of four collections taken up on the diocesan level each year. The other three are the Annual Catholic Appeal, the World Missions Collection, and the Catholic Charities Christmas Collection.
Last year’s CCUS brought in over $123,500, according to figures from the diocese’s Development Office.
The collection is shared with several ministries that help expand the reach of the Church across the nation:
• Black and Native American Missions: The Spokane Diocese has received grants for ministry in Native American communities in places like Inchelium, Nespelem, Omak, Wellpinit, and West End. The financial assistance helps fund catechist training, evangelization, and religious education programs.
• Catholic Home Missions: According to the Catholic Extension Society, some 91 out of the 195 dioceses in the United States classify as mission dioceses. Catholic Home Missions helps these dioceses provide basic pastoral ministries for their people.
• The Catholic University of America (CUA): CUA is the only institution of higher learning in the United States founded by the country’s bishops. Programs emphasize the liberal arts, professional education, and personal development.
• Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD): The U.S. bishops’ effort to combat the grass-roots causes of poverty. Several Eastern Washington Catholic organizations have benefitted from CCHD grants, including Transitions’ New Leaf Bakery – Café and St. Margaret’s Shelter.
• Retirement Fund for Religious: Provides financial assistance to ease the burden of retirement costs for aging communities of men and women Religious.
• Catholic Communications: This fund, established by the U.S. bishops, supports the development and production of evangelization efforts utilizing a wide variety of media resources.
Envelopes with donations to CCUS can be returned to parishes or mailed directly to the Development Office, Catholic Diocese of Spokane, P.O. Box 1453, Spokane, WA 99210-1453.
More information is available by calling the Development Office: (509)358-4280.
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved