Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 48, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Bishop Skylstad, IHRC team up for barbecues and talks this summer
the Inland Register
(From the June 19, 2014 edition of the Inland Register)
Even with the advent of summer holidays, Immaculate Heart Retreat Center (IHRC) will be offering a wide variety of opportunities to explore and strengthen spiritual life, as well as socialize.
• On two summer Tuesdays, July 15 and Aug. 26, IHRC will host “Barbecues with Bishop Skylstad,” from 5-8 p.m. The evenings include a talk; July 15’s is titled “What is this New Evangelization?” and Aug. 26’s is “Francis says … ‘Hop to it!’”
Bishop William Skylstad (left) is Bishop Emeritus of the Spokane Diocese and former bishop of the Diocese of Yakima, Wash. He also served a time as apostolic administrator of the Diocese of Baker, Ore., after his retirement from Spokane. He grew up in Washington’s Methow Valley and studied at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Ohio and Washington State University.
Besides his ministry as a bishop, he has served as a seminary rector, pastor, and diocesan administrator.
Cost for the events is $20 per person. Advance registration is requested.
• On Tuesday, July 15, IHRC will host a “road to discovery,” an opportunity to explore its programs and facilities and hear stories of people who have experienced the Retreat Center.
The tour and lunch begin at 11:30 a.m. and conclude at 1 p.m., hosted by IHRC’s director, Deacon John Ruscheinsky, and Sister Mary Eucharista Mazurik of the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the church, IHRC’s program director.
There is no charge to attend; an RSVP is requested.
• Carmelite Sister Leslie Lund will lead a Marian Day of Prayer in Carmelite Spirituality on Wednesday, July 16, titled “Fostering the Latent Mystic Within through Contemplative Prayer.” The day begins with Mass at 9 a.m. and concludes at 4:30 p.m. with vespers. The schedule includes lunch, two conferences, and the opportunity to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Cost is $35/person ($45 with use of a private room).
The conferences will be a tour through interior character and nature, based on St. Teresa of Avila’s book The Interior Castle – an exploration of the profound spirituality of the ordinary Christian’s “mystical,” contemplative life and prayer open to all for the sake of a deeper love relationship with Christ, his people, and always for the “birth of good works,” as St. Teresa stresses.
Sister Leslie has been a Carmelite for 32 years, and studied Carmelite spirituality both in the monastery and at St. Mary’s College at Notre Dame. She has published a number of articles on Carmelite spirituality. Sister also offers retreats and spiritual direction.
• Immaculate Heart Retreat Center hosts an eight-day Ignatian silent retreat, “Invitation to Prayer.” conducted by Jesuit Father Rick Ganz (right) beginning Saturday, July 26, and continuing through Aug. 2.
The retreat begins with registration at 4:30 p.m. and concludes after closing lunch. Cost is $78/day, overnight with meals.
Father Ganz has been a member of the Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) since 1973. He is a retreat master, spiritual director, and renowned speaker who has conducted retreats and given talks to Catholics and non-Catholics throughout the U. S. Canada, and Europe for over 30 years. His background is in ancient philosophy, the early Christian theology (patristics), systematic theology, and Christian spirituality.
The retreat is an opportunity to spend significant time away from the demands of daily life and gain a fresh sense of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola as well as of Scripture.
For registration or more information, call (509) 448-1224, or visit the web site: www.ihrc.net.
IHRC is located at 6910 S. Ben Burr Rd. in Spokane.
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved