Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 1453, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
Compiled by Father Tom Caswell, for the Inland Register
(From the Aug. 21, 2014 edition of the Inland Register)
(In 1914: Parishes-Priests, a typewritten volume recently discovered in the diocesan archives, we find detailed information on the priests of the diocese of that time. The Diocese of Nesqually eventually becomes the Diocese of Seattle, from which, in turn, the Diocese of Spokane begins in 1914. Our founding priests were mainly from Europe and had impressive educational backgrounds. They also spoke or could understand several languages – someone added some post-1914 information to some of these biographies.)
Rev. George R. Balducci: Pastor of the Italian church at Walla Walla. Father Balducci was born in Florence, Italy, January 2, 1880; studied classics at Florence; philosophy at Rome, Italy; and theology at Tarantaise, France. He was ordained for the diocese of Cremona Italy, by Bishop G. Bonomelli of Cremona, June 6, 1906. After organizing the Italian immigrants at Basel, Switzerland, he obtained permission in 1907 to go to America for the same purpose; organized an Italian parish at Minneapolis 1908-1910, and at St. Paul, 1910-1914; was appointed for the Italians at Walla Walla, Sept. 14, 1914.
Rev. William B. Bender: Rector of St. Patrick Church, Pasco, since May 15, 1915. Father Bender was born in Alsace, Germany, Oct. 21, 1878; studied classics at St. Fidelis College, Herman, Pennsylvania; and philosophy and theology at Cumberland, Maryland. He was originally ordained for the Capuchin Order, but obtained his secularization from Rome, Sept. 28, 1909, to enter the Little Rock, Ark., diocese. He came to this diocese from Wabasha, Minn., and was immediately assigned to his present position.
Rev. Stephen Buckley: Assistant at Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane. Father Buckley was born at Chicago, Ill., Dec. 28, 1891; made his classical studies at St. Rita College, Chicago; studied philosophy at the Catholic University, Washington, D.C., and theology at the same institution and St. Francis at Milwaukee, Wis. He was raised for the priesthood, June 17, 1916, by Archbishop G.W. Mundelein of Chicago. He speaks only English. After his ordination, Father Buckley was appointed assistant at Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane on July 25, 1916 and became assistant at St. Patrick, Walla Walla on Aug. 11, 1917.
Rev. John L. Campion: Rector of St. Joseph Church, Dayton. Father Campion was born at Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland. Studied classics at the State University, New York, and St. Francis College, Brooklyn; philosophy at St. Francis College of Brooklyn and Spalding College, Nebraska; theology at Spalding College and St. Francis College, Loretto, Pa. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1910 at St. Francis, Loretto, Pa., by Bishop Garvey. He was ordained for the Third Order Regulars of St. Francis, from which he separated in 1913 and went to Condon, Diocese of Baker City, Ore. He came to this diocese on Jan. 14, 1915, being appointed assistant at St. Patrick, Walla Walla; and received his present pastorate May 9, 1915. He can preach and hear confessions in English only.
Rev. John J. Condon: Pastor of Newport and missions. Father Condon was born at Tacoma, Wash., March 5, 1893; made his classical studies at Gonzaga College, Spokane, and his philosophical and theological studies at the Grant Seminary, Montreal, Canada; Bishop A. F. Schinner raised him to the priesthood, and ordained him for the Diocese of Spokane, Aug. 29, 1915. After his ordination, he was assistant at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes until July 28, 1915, when he received his present appointment.
Rev. John Cronin: Assistant at Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane. Father Cronin was born June 20, 1886, in Co. Cork, Ireland; studied classics at St. Colmans College, Fermoy; and philosophy and theology at St. Patrick Seminary, Thurles, Ireland. Archbishop Th. Fennelly ordained him for the Diocese of Seattle, July 25, 1911. Since his arrival, Father Cronin has been attached to Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane. He was appointed pastor of Rosalia and Missions, Aug. 1, 1915.
Rev. James G. Cunningham: The present incumbent of Sacred Heart Parish, Spokane. Father Cunningham was born at Seattle, Wash., May 14, 1879; made his classical studies at Gonzaga College, Spokane; his philosophical and theological studies at the Grand Seminary of Montreal. He was ordained for the Diocese of Seattle on Dec. 20, 1902 by Archbishop Bruchesi of Montreal. After his arrival in his home diocese, Father Cunningham was successively employed as assistant at Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane, from January 1903 to July 1906; at the Cathedral in Seattle until July 1907, and as pastor of Sprague until November 1911. Father Cunningham holds his present pastorate at Spokane since the last mentioned date. Besides English, he possesses a fair knowledge of French.
Rev. Henry William Deichmann: Pastor of Vera and Trent. Father Deichmann was born at Erkelenz, Germany on January 13, 1862; completed his classical course at München-Gladbach, and with a private teacher, his philosophy at Bonn. He received his theological training at the American College, Louvain, Belgium. The bishop of Mecheln ordained him to the priesthood in 1887. After Father Deichmann’s arrival in the Diocese of Nesqually, for which he was ordained, he was successively assigned to Aberdeen and missions, in 1887; to the missions in Skagit County, in 1899. After his return from London, England, where he was engaged in pastoral work from October 1904 until May 1905, he took charge of Wilbur and missions in February 1906. He holds his present pastorate since November 1913. Besides English and German, Father Deichmann possesses a fair knowledge of French, and can hear confessions in Dutch and Swedish.
Rev. John J. De Kanter: Rector of St. Joseph Church, Spokane. Father De Kanter was born on July 14, 1869 at Tilburg, Holland; received his classical education at the Little Seminary of St. Michiels, Gestel, Holland; studied philosophy at the Grand Seminary in Haaren, Holland and theology at the American College at Louvain, Belgium. He was ordained to the priesthood for the diocese of Nesqually, May 23, 1891 by Bishop Godschalks of Bosch, Holland. He arrived in Washington in October 1891 and was assistant at Olympia until January 1892, and at Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane until Dec. 6, 1892. Since that time, he has held his present pastorate. Father De Kanter speaks English and Dutch fluently, but can also hear confessions in German and French.
Rev. Aloysius De Malsche: Pastor of Newport, Washington, and missions. Father De Malsche was born in Belgium, September 2, 1873; studied classics and philosophy at St. Nikolas and theology at the American College in Louvain, Belgium. Bishop Van den Branden de Reek ordained him to the priesthood for the Diocese of Nesqually on June 29, 1898. After his arrival, Father De Malsche, took charge of Tekoa and missions on January 1899, and transferred to St. Anne Church, Spokane, to assist Father Pypers, in 1911. He has held his present pastorate since the beginning of 1914. He resigned his Newport pastorate for reasons of health on July 6, 1916; was assigned as substitute at St. Joseph Church, Spokane, on Oct. 18, 1916.
Rev. Augustin Vincent Dunn: Assistant at St. Patrick Church, Walla Walla. Father Dunn was born at Baltimore, Md., May 7, 1885; made his classical studies at St. Joseph College, Dubuque, Iowa; and his theological and philosophical studies at St. Mary Seminary, Baltimore. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 28, 1914 by Bishop O.B. Corrigan. Father Dunn was ordained for the Diocese of Seattle and incorporated into the Diocese of Spokane on Aug. 17, 1914. Since Sept. 1, 1914, he is stationed at Walla Walla. When the Holy Heart of Mary Church at Northport became an independent missionary center on July 1, 1917, Father Dunn was appointed its first pastor, but soon resigned on July 18 with the consent of Bishop Schinner, to enter a Religious order.
Rev. John Adolph Faust: Rector of St. Anthony Church, Spokane. Father Faust was born at Müdershelm, Germany, May 6, 1868; studied classics at Callrath, Grevenbreich and Jülich; philosophy at Rome and Sittard, Holland; and theology at Clair Fontaine, Belgium; St. Francis, Wisconsin, and St. Meinrad, Indiana. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop O’Dea for the Diocese of Nesqually, Dec. 8, 1896. Since his ordination, Father Faust has held the following positions: assistant at the Sacred Heart Church, Spokane from April 1897 to July 1898; pastor of the Big Bend missions, comprising of Cheney, Medical Lake, Reardan, Davenport, Creston, Wilbur, St. John, Coulee City, Leahy, Brewster, Bridgeport and Waterville until November 1901; pastor of Uniontown until July 1, 1909; and rector of St. Anthony Parish since its organization in November, 1909. He speaks English and German and some French; and can hear confessions additionally in Italian and Dutch.
Rev. Leo Wilfrid Ferland: Pastor of Sprague and missions. Father Ferland was born at Perth, Ontario, Canada, April 10, 1855; studied classics and philosophy at Joliette College, Canada, and theology at Montreal. He was ordained for the Diocese of Alton, Ill., by Bishop Fabre of Montreal on June 7, 1884. In the Alton Diocese, he held the following positions: Kaskaskia, Ill., from July 16 1884 to September 1893; Cahekia, Ill., from January 1894 to March 1898. He then entered the Diocese of New Westminster, and was stationed at Nelson, B.C. from March 1898 to October 1902. At the last mentioned date, he applied to be admitted into the Diocese of Seattle, where his first appointment was at St. Anne Church, Spokane, which he held until January 1905; and then took charge of the Church of the Assumption, Bellingham until January 19, 1913, when he was assigned to his present pastorate at Sprague. Father Ferland speaks French and English.
Rev. William Vincent Fitzgerald: Present pastor of Rosalia and missions. Father Fitzgerald was born at Decatur, Ill., April 4, 1871, made his classical studies at St. Michael College, Toronto, Canada; and his philosophical and theological studies at the Grand Seminary of Montreal, June 6, 1903. Bishop O’Connor conferred on him the order of priesthood on June 17, 1905. Father Fitzgerald was ordained for the Diocese of Seattle and arrived from Toronto where he was ordained in October 1905. After a short stay at St. Patrick Church, Tacoma, he was assigned to the Cathedral of St. James in Seattle, January 1906; as assistant at Our Lady of Lourdes, Spokane in August 1906, and appointed to his present incumbency, Rosalia, in July 1908. He was assigned to the newly created parish of St. Augustine as its first pastor, and assumed charge on July 1, 1915.
Rev. P.A. Flavin: Pastor of Dayton and the missions in Columbia and Walla Walla counties. Father Flavin was born in Ireland, February 6, 1869. He studied classics and philosophy at Mount Melleray Seminary, Waterford, County, and theology at St. Patrick College, Carlow, Ireland. He was ordained for the Diocese of Davenport, Iowa by Bishop H. Cosgrove of said diocese, at the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Davenport, Iowa. After holding the position of assistant at St. Ambrose Church, Des Moines, Iowa (1895 till 1897), and that of pastor of Audubon, Iowa (1897-1904), he came to the Diocese of Seattle (1904), attended the Cowlitz Prairie missions in southwestern Washington until 1906, and was in charge of Auburn-Kent and dependent missions in King County until 1913. He was incorporated into the Diocese of Seattle in 1911, and with the division of that diocese, became a member of the clergy of the newly erected Diocese of Spokane. His appointment to the Dayton missions took place in 1913. At the creation of Mansfield into a new mission center, Father Flavin was appointed its first pastor, March 8, 1916. After leaving the Dayton missions on Nov. 23, 1914, he had made a brief stay at Pasco, until May 15, 1915, and at Kennewick until his appointment to Mansfield.
(To be continued in the next issue.)
(Father Caswell is archivist for the Inland Register, and a frequent contributor to this publication.)
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved