Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington
Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane
P.O. Box 1453, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302
the Inland Register
(From the November 20, 2014 edition of the Inland Register)
Benedictine Sister Bernadine “Bernie” Ternes of the Monastery of St. Gertrude in Cottonwood, Idaho, died Oct. 3. She had been a member of the monastery for 71 of her 90 years.
The rosary vigil was Oct. 16. The funeral Mass was celebrated the following afternoon.
She was born Angela Ternes on April 30, 1924 in Strasburg, N.D. Two older sisters entered Religious life, including one at St. Gertrude. Angela made her first profession at St. Gertrude on Aug. 4, 1943.
She taught in schools throughout Idaho for 30 years, and later ministered among the people of skid road in Seattle, as a Night Crisis volunteer. She also ministered as a prison chaplain.
In Spokane, Sister Bernie continued her work at Our Place Ministries, the House of Charity, and St. Margaret’s Shelter for Women and Children. She returned to St. Gertrude in 2011, where she was busy with the monastery’s hospitality ministry.
Memorial gifts in Sister Bernie’s honor can be made to the Monastery of St. Gertrude, 465 Keuterville Rd., Cottonwood, ID 83522, or to Our Place Ministries, 1509 W. College Ave., Spokane, WA 99201.
Sister Barbara Freed, a Franciscan Sister of Perpetual Adoration, died Oct. 20 at Villa St. Joseph, La Crosse, Wis. She was 98.
Since Sister Barbara had requested a natural burial, a prayer vigil was held at Villa St. Joseph on Oct. 20. The funeral Mass was celebrated at the Villa the next day. Burial at the Sisters’ natural burial grounds followed immediately. In addition, a memorial Mass was offered for Sister Barbara at St. Rose Convent on Oct. 23.
Sister Barbara was born to Emil William and Leila (Smith) Freed on Aug.14, 1916, in Coulee City, Wash. She entered St. Rose Convent in 1931. Choosing the field of education, Sister Barbara served for eight years as a music teacher in elementary schools, 11 years in high schools including nine years at Marycliff High School in Spokane), and nine years at Viterbo College (now University).
After leaving the classroom, she became involved in social concerns, serving as FSPA Justice and Peace Coordinator for two years.
Sister Barbara moved back to Spokane for a year, and then on to Las Vegas, where she was named coordinator of the Franciscan Center for Peace and Justice, a satellite of the Catholic Community Service News.
From 1996-2002, Sister Barbara ministered at Clare Center Spirituality Center, Spokane. Her last three years of active ministry were with the CHORE program of Catholic Charities, Spokane.
She made her home at Villa St. Joseph in 2005.
Memorials may be sent to Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, 912 Market Street, La Crosse, WI, 54601-4782.
© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved