Catholic Diocese of Spokane, Washington



From the

Official News Magazine of the Diocese of Spokane

Eric Meisfjord, Editor
P.O. Box 1453, Spokane WA 99210
(509) 358-7340; FAX: (509) 358-7302


New leadership named for Sisters of the Holy Names’ U.S.-Ontario Province

the Inland Register

(From the October 15, 2015 edition of the Inland Register)

Five Sisters will become the new Province Leadership Team for the Sisters of the Holy Names U.S.-Ontario Province beginning in January 2016. They are Sisters Maureen Delaney (who will serve as Provincial), Mary Breiling, Guadalupe Guajardo, Margaret Kennedy, and Mary Rita Rohde.

The Leadership Team serves a five-year term, leading a Religious community that includes 17 Mission Centres across the United States and Ontario, Canada.

• Sister Maureen Delaney, who is the founder and Executive Director of the Tutwiler Community Education Center, has been developing education, recreation and enrichment programs and activities for children, teens and adults in a poor rural area of Mississippi for the past 28 years.
• Sister Mary Breiling’s current ministries in Oregon include the ongoing development of Mary’s Woods at Marylhurst, Clackamas County’s Senior Advisory Committee, and Namasté Retreat ministry, which provides sacred space for individuals of all religious traditions.
• Sister Guadalupe Guajardo serves as Senior Consultant to the Nonprofit Association of Oregon.
• Sister Margaret Kennedy oversees the care and community life of 30 Sisters from the former Convent of the Holy Names, Los Gatos, Calif., who have transitioned to a group residence in nearby Campbell.
• Sister Mary Rita Rohde, who founded and served for 10 years as the Director of Nuestra Casa, an education and service organization for immigrant families in Sunnyside, Wash., has taught English as a second language and done fundraising for the organization.

Sister Maureen Delaney SNJM

The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) is an international congregation of Catholic Sisters, Associates and Lay Consecrated who are dedicated to the full development of the human person through education, social justice, contemplation and the arts.

Holy Names Sisters work to heal and repair the world by engaging in education, arts and culture, social service, advocacy, social justice and systemic change. Sisters can be found living out their ministries and Gospel pathways through preschools, high schools, universities, parishes, nonprofit organizations, studios, prisons, immigration centers, hospitals and clinics, retirement communities, spirituality and retreat centers.

Sister Mary Breiling SNJM

SNJM ministries in the Northwest began in 1859, the year Oregon became a state. Twelve Holy Names Sisters traveled from the Mother House in Longueuil, Quebec to begin ministering in the Portland area. They built schools, founded orphanages and ministered in parishes throughout the region. During the same era, Holy Names Sisters established convents in New York, California, Washington, Florida, and the Canadian province of Ontario, expanding to the Mid-Atlantic region in the 1930s. Formation of the U.S.-Ontario Province reconfigured five predominantly English-speaking Holy Names provinces into one administrative unit in 2006. The Province offices are in Marylhurst, Ore.

Sister Guadalupe Guajardo SNJM

The Religious community includes vowed Sisters, Associates (women and men who share the mission but do not make vows), and Lay Consecrated women. The Province comprises approximately 460 Sisters and 380 Associates and Lay Consecrated. Currently, incorporated Province ministries include six Catholic schools, a music education center, a university, an adult learning center, the continuing care retirement community at Mary’s Woods, a family education and wellness center, and a medical clinic.

Sister Margaret Kennedy SNJM

Eulalie Durocher (Blessed Mother Marie Rose) was born in Quebec on Oct. 6, 1811, in the village of St. Antoine on the Richelieu River. As the housekeeper at the rectory in Beloeil and the facilitator of pastoral activities from 1831 to 1843, she understood the need for teaching youngsters, especially girls, who received little schooling.

On Oct. 28, 1843, Melodie Dufresne (Sister Marie Agnes) and Henriette Céré (Sister Marie Madeleine) joined Eulalie in their first school, located in the foundation house owned by St-Antoine-de-Padoue Parish.

Sister Mary Rita Rohde SNJM

By August 1844, the Sisters and students were so numerous that they needed to move to a convent of their own. On Dec. 8, 1844, Bishop Ignace Bourget presided at the official establishment of the Congregation and the three foundresses made their Religious profession.


Inland Register Index | Home


© The Catholic Diocese of Spokane. All Rights Reserved

WEB CONTACT